Discussion topic: Can’t connect to server

This message was authored by Gemma1806 This message was authored by: Gemma1806

Can’t connect to server

For the last few weeks I've had issues with my emails. I use the Apple Mail client and I'm getting a regular message saying it can't connect to the server. It's the same across all my devices. I can, however, log in to Yahoo in a web browser and get them that way. Not ideal as I have multiple email addresses and I want them managed together.  Anyone else had the same issue and know how to resolve it?

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Can’t connect to server

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

It might be your server settings are wrong as they should be these:

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

Server - imap.tools.sky.com
Port - 993
Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

Server - smtp.tools.sky.com
Port - 465
Requires SSL - Yes
Requires authentication - Yes

Or perhaps you need to use a generated password instead (you don't use this when logging in via a web browser):

https://www.sky.com/sky-yahoo-mail/manage-apps?client=email

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by jewers This message was authored by: jewers

@Gemma1806 I have been having exactly the same problem intermittently over the last couple of weeks.  Things then improved but I have not been able to access my emails on any of my Apple devices today and devices keep saying that cannot connect to server but I can use the Sky.com website to access them.  Saw from the 'is Yahoo down' website that there are problems with Yahoo mail in the UK today.  I am just waiting to see if it improves but please let me know if you find a solution.

This message was authored by Cynefin1 This message was authored by: Cynefin1

I had the same problem. My helpful techie nephew changed the SIM card to a 3 pay as you go and it works perfectly. Will do until I get a new SIM card from sky.

This message was authored by Nic+B2530 This message was authored by: Nic+B2530

I'm having the same issue and it's got worse since the latest update to iOS 16. 
I've tried all the fixes and checked the account details but still nothing works.   It started with messages not being downloaded from the server, now it's just cannot connect to server. I even tried asking Yahoo if they had a problem but they just pass you straight onto Sky. 

This message was authored by MelanieJB This message was authored by: MelanieJB

Past couple of days I'm having intermittent issues with yahoo Mail saying cannot connect to server. This is on my iPhone and iPad both running latest software. Is this an issue with sky or Yahoo ? Does anyone have the same issues 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@MelanieJB wrote:

Past couple of days I'm having intermittent issues with yahoo Mail saying cannot connect to server. This is on my iPhone and iPad both running latest software. Is this an issue with sky or Yahoo ? Does anyone have the same issues 

No issue here on Android or desktop, so doesn't look like a Sky or Yahoo issue.

Thanks for replying,It's working at the moment but it's definitely intermittent service. I've just had a look through other threads and I see a few others have had the same issue with yahoo mail over past few days. Maybe it is a Apple compatibility thing .

This message was authored by H.Dollin This message was authored by: H.Dollin

I have been having issues the last couple of days Mail app on my iPhone not connecting to server, can access through dy website but not ideal anyone got any helpful tips please? 

This message was authored by chrissyb1 This message was authored by: chrissyb1

I have the same problem on iPad and iPhone. Have spent 2 hours in Apple shop today and they are adamant it is a sky / yahoo issue. Their solution is to use the yahoo app for mail which is frustrating as I have multiple email addresses that I want to view in one place and the yahoo app won't let me add my apple email!

It's ridiculous, it happening on and off on a daily basis . It must be a yahoo/sky issue as the mail app retrieves other email accounts consistently just not yahoo, sometimes it works fine then soon after 'cannot download from server' 

This message was authored by jewers This message was authored by: jewers

@chrissyb1 I was going to try to get to the Apple Store this week as so frustrated with Sky/Yahoo.  Do you know if emails work okay with the Yahoo app?  I don't want to close my Yahoo email account on the Apple mail app before trying the yahoo app in case I cannot get back into it.  At the moment I am having to go to sky.com which is a real pain.  Any advice much appreciated.

This message was authored by CJ2015 This message was authored by: CJ2015

Same here been intermittent for me since downloading latest iPhone upgrade. One minute emails pop into my Inbox and an hour later I get 'yahoo error cannot connect to server' - pain as then I have to go to Sky.com. When it's working I occasionally get an email without the content. Even happened trying to retrieve theatre tickets I'd saved in a folder. Totally unreliable service from Sky and Yahoo. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@CJ2015 wrote:

Same here been intermittent for me since downloading latest iPhone upgrade. One minute emails pop into my Inbox and an hour later I get 'yahoo error cannot connect to server' - pain as then I have to go to Sky.com. When it's working I occasionally get an email without the content. Even happened trying to retrieve theatre tickets I'd saved in a folder. Totally unreliable service from Sky and Yahoo. 

Since it appears to be affecting iOS devices, it looks more like an issue created by Apple. Still works perfectly ok on my android devices  and Windows desktop. However, given Yahoo's history of outages and security issues, it's still worth considering moving to a new provider, ideally not one linked to an ISP. 

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

@jewers wrote:

@chrissyb1 I was going to try to get to the Apple Store this week as so frustrated with Sky/Yahoo.  Do you know if emails work okay with the Yahoo app?  I

It certainly should work in the Yahoo app, it should also work in the Outlook app.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion