Discussion topic: At Breaking Point - Compromised Account - No HELP

This message was authored by Aleksandrorlov This message was authored by: Aleksandrorlov

At Breaking Point - Compromised Account - No HELP

Good Morning

I have a @Sky.com email account, its seperate to my sky account that has my tv, broadband etc. This email account has personal details attached but but no account number etc, that i can see anyway. I can log intoi the sky portal and then also goto email and also directly to yahoo email via there website.

The problem i have the account has been compromised in that somehow a 'gmail' email is 'on' the account somewhere and i cant find it, last night we received an email to say that a request to change the password or something has happened and the email from yahoo (as they seem to provide the service) said it was from the @gmail and from Belgium.

This isnt anyone we know, i immediatley changed the password, but i know that somewhere this 'backup' email address is sat there and I cannot for the life of me find it, to remove it.

I tried calling yahoo and after 30 minutes basically told me as its a @Sky.com email they cant help, coupled with the fact sky said they cant find the account?

Do sky not have an online tech support to sort issues? I also still have access to my email account, which is strange, but somehow this person obvioulsy has a back door which i want to close.

I suffer with autism and situations like this cause me a great deal of anxiety and stress.

Can anyone offer help, guidance and assistance please.

Meerkat

All Replies

Aleksandrorlov
Topic Author
This message was authored by Aleksandrorlov This message was authored by: Aleksandrorlov

Re: At Breaking Point - Compromised Account - No HELP

Just to add, the email account is actually an additional user from the main account.

Meerkat
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Aleksandrorlov 

If you login to this link using the same details as you use to lgin to the email account do you see this Gmail address:

https://www.sky.com/myaccount/my-details

If not go back to the email account and go to Settings > More Settings > Filters and remove anything that you did not setup.

Then go to Settings > More Settings > Mailboxes > Your email address > Reply-to address

And again remove anything here that you did not setup.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Aleksandrorlov
Topic Author

Its not from the sky portal side of things as thats all in order, its the webmail side of things, once i login to the email side of things is where the issue reside under recovery details, i cannot appear to find or change the recovery aspects for the email aspect

Meerkat
This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

Re: Email account compromised. Can't removed associated recovery mails which aren't mine

@Aleksandrorlov 

I think it only happens when using the Yahoo log in links.

If you use the Sky links it shouldn't happen.

Email log in: https://skyid.sky.com/signin/email

Change password: https://skyid.sky.com/resetpassword/email

As I said I think it is browser related, have you tried using a different browser to see if the behaviour changes? 

Aleksandrorlov
Topic Author

Re: Email account compromised. Can't removed associated recovery mails which aren't mine

@jayach Yes if I use those links it only refers to my known email for recovery purposes

Did you also mean use a different browser to test the yahoo forgot password method via the yahoo website? 

As an additional detail, when you are logged into the yahoo mail side, there is simply no option to change or see any recovery options, and I have looked everywhere 

Meerkat

@Aleksandrorlov wrote:

Its not from the sky portal side of things as thats all in order, its the webmail side of things,

They are really the same thing, your email will always have a Sky ID associated, even if it a guest account. 

jayach_1-1696608406318.png

I suspect you are trying to administer the account via Yahoo, and you have to do it via Sky.

@Aleksandrorlov wrote:

Did you also mean use a different browser to test the yahoo forgot password method via the yahoo website? 

Yes, but only to see that it doesn't bring up the spurious accounts, you can't actually do anything, it has to be done via the Sky site.

See my reply to your other post. 

Re: At Breaking Point - Compromised Account - No H... | Sky Community

This message was authored by Collyec This message was authored by: Collyec

@jayach I do appreciate your help, are you saying that even though the yahoo recovery option shows those 2 unknown gmail options, they wouldn't work to enable access the account? 

This message was authored by Collyec This message was authored by: Collyec

I am not trying to do that, I'm just concerned as even when I  checked the recent activity option within security on the yahoo site, under settings, it showed access from Belgium, whereas I am in Wales @jayach I even got some emails from sky/yahoo too my sky ID email saying that access had been given? 

Aleksandrorlov
Topic Author

Apologies the reply above was actually from me, I logged in under the wrong sky account in the forum. Please treat the reply above as if from myself 

Meerkat

@Aleksandrorlovor @Collyec 

If you have multiple Sky or Yahoo accounts that may explain part of the problem.

Cookies will likely be shared between the various accounts, so whatever browser you use, could find itself conflicted/confused.

I have often signed into one account, only to be presented with the emails from another.

Should it happen, no. But does it happen, Yes.

But it's not a problem as they are both mine, the problem may be worse if the PC/device is shared between users.

@Collyec wrote:

@jayach I do appreciate your help, are you saying that even though the yahoo recovery option shows those 2 unknown gmail options, they wouldn't work to enable access the account? 

Probably not, as Yahoo doesn't have access to your Sky account. Some options may take you to Sky to complete the action, but Yahoo itself shouldn't be able to administrate your Sky account.

We may be at cross purposes as I i'm not really sure just what you are trying to do via Yahoo, but basically, do it via Sky instead.

@Collyec wrote:

when I  checked the recent activity option within security on the yahoo site, under settings, it showed access from Belgium, whereas I am in Wales @jayach I even got some emails from sky/yahoo too my sky ID email saying that access had been given? 

If you are worried your email account has been compromised (possibly via a phishing attack) then change your password. https://skyid.sky.com/resetpassword/email 

Also, if someone has been able to give access to your account via an app, rescind that access by signing in here: https://www.sky.com/myaccount/my-details and scrolling down to Sky Yahoo Mail access, selecting Manage passwords and removing access.

@Collyec wrote:

when I  checked the recent activity option within security on the yahoo site, under settings, it showed access from Belgium, whereas I am in Wales @jayach I even got some emails from sky/yahoo too my sky ID email saying that access had been given? 

I'm not entirely sure just what you are seeing, but if I check  what I think you are looking at. I see:

jayach_0-1696639906261.png

and I can assure you I have never been anywhere near Dublin.

Treat anything you see on the Yahoo site with care, it's not meant for us Sky users.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion