Discussion topic: Wifi keeps dropping out

This message was authored by SkyandI This message was authored by: SkyandI

Wifi keeps dropping out

My wife works from home and reproted that lost connection several times today again during meetings. Tonight i was on the wifi, playing games and the same thing happened to me. The wifi drops, not for long though, but enough to cause a disruption. It drops for like between 2-4 min, and it happens at least twice an hour, for a couple of hours and then its stable again. I have reported this previously and i have done the fault test, where it comes back as all is ok. Sky reported back to me that they have tested my line and cant see anything wrong. I have stated that the problem still exist and we need help, but up to now, nothing. This is getting to a point now where we are ready to cancell and go over to a different subcriber. Can you please help us.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Wifi keeps dropping out

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @SkyandI something is causing your line to drop. Where this happens the automatic DLM system should intervene raising the noise margin making the line more resiliant which maybe happening on your line as the figure of 4.3dB is slightly higher than you should see on a short line.

While this process is ongoing Openreach often refuse to intervene until speeds approach the guaranteed minimum for your line. Its worth reporting the issue to Sky but I am not sure they can do much other than record the issue. To make that easy I am escalating your post to the Sky team who support the forum. They will send you an invitation to a private chat through the forum where a chat button should appear.

The fact your wife works from home doesn't get an priority unfortunately as Openreach class these lines as domestic.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

That's a BB general question right?

This will probably get moved from the Q forum but basically wifi from a single point router is rubbish unless you live in a small flat. Get a mesh. Amazon were doing a Deco X55 one with 3 nodes for £189 last week. It's very unlikely (but not impossible) that the problem is the internet connection dropping completely.

Or use a wifi scanner like the one in Apple's "airport utility" to check you don't have a neighbour's wifi channel clashing.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@SkyandI what happens to the led indicators on the hub when you lose connectivity? If the internet light goes amber then back to green when the system reconnects you have an issue with the line if so please run the conection test in the My Sky app when thecsystem is connected to see if it picks up the fault. If it doesn't please post your hubs connection stats Find your Sky Broadband router statistics

If all of the lights stay green something else is going on if the device reports loss of connection its likely to be interference which can come from neighbour's networks or your own wireless kit. Try moving anything thst uses wireless links liie DECT cordless phones away from near the hub. You mmay need better wifi kit but better is using an ethernet cable to your wife's PC if that is impossible look into whether Powerline adapters might work.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
SkyandI
Topic Author

@Chrisee Thanks for the advise. From what i can see is that when it cuts out it goes amber for a short time and then back to green. I ran the test several times and it does not pick up any faults. Below is the stats, The WLAN (5GHZ) also had a number next to it, on the collision tab, but then refreshed and it went away. Hope this helps.

SkyandI_0-1679592178728.png

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Hi @SkyandI something is causing your line to drop. Where this happens the automatic DLM system should intervene raising the noise margin making the line more resiliant which maybe happening on your line as the figure of 4.3dB is slightly higher than you should see on a short line.

While this process is ongoing Openreach often refuse to intervene until speeds approach the guaranteed minimum for your line. Its worth reporting the issue to Sky but I am not sure they can do much other than record the issue. To make that easy I am escalating your post to the Sky team who support the forum. They will send you an invitation to a private chat through the forum where a chat button should appear.

The fact your wife works from home doesn't get an priority unfortunately as Openreach class these lines as domestic.

SkyandI
Topic Author

@Chodley Thanks for the advise. I do currently have a mesh system install with 3 nodes to cover the whole house, downstairs and upstairs, + a wifi booster. I have also changed the channel as recommended to ensure that i am not on the neighbours channels. This problem started about 2 weeks ago, was reported to SKY, but got an email back that my line strenght is strong enough and they cant see any faults on the line. So that was basically the end of it. But the problem still persist, and sometimes the network is just relentless where it drops a couple times per hour, other days it will go with 2-3 times drop for the whole day. This week is however is one of the bad once again, thats why i refered to this group for assistance, cause dont know what to do anymore.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Router is connected directly to the main socket?

This message was authored by Vikkiroxx This message was authored by: Vikkiroxx

I think Sky glass has been one headache after another

i work odd hours and I cant get tv to work... tested everything etc......

really regret getting this.. was much better beforehand

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion