Discussion topic: Wifi Range and Speed

This message was authored by Keany1 This message was authored by: Keany1

Wifi Range and Speed

I moved to Sky about a month ago and have the Sky Ultrafast Plus 500 package.

When Openreach fitted the "box" it was fitted in our kitchen which is at the far end of the house, rather than in the sitting room in the centre of our house (I was told this was the only option....my previous BT (non FTTP) box was in the ideal location.)

The speed in the kitchen is fantastic (400-500), but literally in the next room the signal drops dramatically and the speed drops to below 40, and is slower than my previous non FTTP broadband with BT. Our house is not huge!

I have spent ages trying to get through to Sky by telephone. Is there anyone on here who can help by arranging a "booster" or can advise if it is possible to relocate the router?

Thanks 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Wifi Range and Speed

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Keany1 

A router can be moved away from the ONT by using a longer ethernet cable, without any loss of speed.

In theory it's also possible to put a Powerline adapter pair between the two locations, but that may become a bottleneck.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Keany1
Topic Author
This message was authored by Keany1 This message was authored by: Keany1

Thanks, and I get what you are saying, but it seems like I have to go to unnecessary lengths to get a decent signal throughout the house  when I think the ONT should have been fitted in the best place to begin with. I suspect Openreach just wanted an easy 10 minute job....

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Keany1 wrote:

I suspect Openreach just wanted an easy 10 minute job....

Possibly, yes, but there are logistical constraints on where an ONT can be located relative to the external CSP.

@Keany1 

In theory ONTs can be relocated (within reason) but there's typically a charge for this as the original location is assumed to have been agreed by the customer.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion