Discussion topic: WAN link DOWN. (DHCP lease invalid WANoE) once per day

This message was authored by probablyTolley This message was authored by: probablyTolley

WAN link DOWN. (DHCP lease invalid WANoE) once per day

image4.pngimage3.png

Every single night for the past few weeks my connection drops around 1:30-3:00am one time, one time only. I work nights and on my days off I'm usually in the middle of a video game or something, and it's frustrating to have it happen daily. I only use Broadband, I don't own a landline phone, I've tried with the MK4 Microfilter thing and without, same issue. Once per day around those times, it drops for a minute or two.. but does enough damage to kick me out of games and lose points if I can't reconnect.

I honestly don't know what else to try at this point, my next test is going to be DSL only on the 'Advanced' tab by WAN.. since it's set to auto right now, but I don't even know if that will work or if it needs to be on auto to work in general.

As you can see from the picture above I reset the modem 18 hours or so ago and all the other connections have been steady, it's always the top Port - WAN - Status - MER that goes off.

I've been with Sky for a few years now and it has dropped off in the past too (not daily), but I always thought it was due to maintenance/updates as it's always at night - but it might've been this the entire time.

Any kind of help or anything would be grand, thanks! 🙂

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: WAN link DOWN. (DHCP lease invalid WANoE) once per day

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@probablyTolley Openreach and Sky schedule housekeeping and maintenance tasks for the early hours to minimise inconvenience as usage is far lower. It is a pain if you are using your conection when this happens but it is unavoidable and is not considered a fault.

A probable cause of your connection reset is intervention by the cabinet's Digital Line Managment system which changes the connection parameters to maintain stability. This is an automatic process and is quite common on copper lines like yours during the winter due to variable weather. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
probablyTolley
Topic Author
This message was authored by probablyTolley This message was authored by: probablyTolley

Still having issues with this, I've noticed all the ptm0.1 things seem to be ipv6 related. Could I turn ipv6 off to test if it drops overnight? and if so what stuff exactly should I try turning off?

f7906020ff9cd0c218afe0d45b5ba039.png

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@probablyTolley the equipment in the street cabinet that your line connects.to continually monitors your line using a system called Digital Line Management. Around 2am the equipment will drop the connection briefly to optimise the parameters if the pre-programmed limits on errors and line drops have been exceeded in the previous 24 hours. This is entirely automatic and quite normal but with the recent bad weather this kind of activity will be happening more frequently. 

This is done at night to cause the minimum disruption to users and will affect any ISP using that line as DLM isxalways running on Openreach VDSL services. As and when full fibre becomes available in your road that issue disapears. However the risk of loss of connection over night due to network maintenance is always there.

Hope thst helps.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
probablyTolley
Topic Author

So basically I'm just screwed until they decide otherwise? I've lived here for a fair few years prior to this happening, and it's never been an issue before until late last year probably. (don't know exactly when I started) So my literal only options are to do nothing? I'm constantly being banned from the game I play for periods of 1-24 hours due to my internet dropping out for 1-2 minutes, and the game ending while I'm not in it, and it's not like I could just wait till 2am and not play for 5 minutes, because it could be 2, 3, 4, or 5am+ that it'll go off for the 1-2 minutes. So if it's going to continue until full fibre is in the area should I just switch to Virgin for now? like I don't understand. It's not JUST 2am, it's any time after 2 until like the latest I think it's gone off being like 7am that it went off one time before.

Extremely frustrating and seemingly nothing being done or said about it by support either. Just typical 'deal with it' attitude, it's crazy.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion