Discussion topic: Voice light orange, no internet.

This message was authored by razy60 This message was authored by: razy60

Re: Voice light orange, no internet.

As I have discovered, it's  a firmware issue which sky in it's infinite wisdom won't address or help with. I've been promised at least 4 engineer visits none have happened all I get is a text message asking if the problem is fixed I say NO I then get "oh sorry call this number " which entails me having to explain the whole sorry situation again. I asked to cancel  my contract only to be told I'd have to pay a penalty, but they'd like to try and fix the problem with an engineer visit I say "why, you haven't sent one yet" and so it goes.

Sick of this.

This message was authored by ChimpM4ster This message was authored by: ChimpM4ster

Can I ask, how did you find out it was a firmware issue , and is there any way to find out when the firmware was updated on our routers? 

My issues started around Oct/Nov (can't recall exactly) so it would be very interesting if this ties in with the firmware date.

I was thinking of ditching the Sky router anyway because the 64 device limit is a pain. I need a better router that can handle around 100 device connections.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@james+rayner wrote:

Open engineer told me Sky were wrong to upgrade me to Ultrafast due to the fact my property is more than 300 meters from the street cabinet. For Ultrafast to work correctly property needs to be within 300 metres of any green street cabinets 

For FTTP that's entirely wrong: there's effectively no distance limit.  G.fast has a maximum range from the local 'pod' because delivery over the last leg to the customer address is over existing 'phone line' copper: Sky only sold Ultrafast 1 over G.fast where this distance was small enough to mean a minimum of 100Mbs could be delivered, which Openreach was supposed to check during the installation: some other ISPs offered Ultrafast 2 at 'up to' 330Mbs.

G.fast hasn't been part of the national Ultrafast infrastructure roll-out since the pandemic, though, and most ISPs have ceased offering it to new subscribers: it's effectively been rendered obsolete by FTTP which has far higher potential speeds and doesn't suffer the various failings inherent to copper.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@TimmyBGood 

Even though FTTP can reach great speeds fibre is fragile technology that can be damaged easily by bending, etc.. and fibre is hard to repair or costly to replace if broken. It isn't the holy grail. 😎

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by KazRuby This message was authored by: KazRuby

I connected to another port and I now have 4 green lights - thank you!!

This message was authored by ChimpM4ster This message was authored by: ChimpM4ster

@KazRubyplease explain?

We can all get 4 green lights by simply rebooting the router, but the problem is that the Orange Light of Death fault recurs a few days/weeks later again.

This message was authored by Robbo0410 This message was authored by: Robbo0410

@ChimpM4ster exactly and Sky don't seem to have a solution for it, paying an absolute fortune for the gigafast package it's great when it works which is 99% of the time but it also has it's problems, I blame it mostly on the Sky router as I've been told they aren't great 

This message was authored by Shiobhain This message was authored by: Shiobhain

Amber light on box no internet 

Finally have an engineer visit booked, what they are going to do I have no idea, probably tell me I have the wrong sort of------‐-‐ fill in whatever here.

This message was authored by Spidergirl This message was authored by: Spidergirl

Oh great. Please let us know what the engineer says. 

Will do.

After finally getting an Engineer visit and following @Spidergirl request i was informed that potentially the problem comes from the ONT, it seems some models are more problematic than others.

I am in the proccess of trying to change from SkyQ to Stream which i am informed requires a different ONT, if this works fine if not i'm off.

This message was authored by Spidergirl This message was authored by: Spidergirl

@razy60  Thanks for the info and hope it works for you.  I'll give sky one more chance to fix the problem but if not, my contract ends in April so not long to go. 

This message was authored by Heysey71 This message was authored by: Heysey71

Same issue, no help from sky. Was told yesterday that "i should reset my router once a month" Hows that for reliable internet? Only had issues since i moved to fibre

Im not giving up yet, ill keep calling them but ill be moving to EE when my contracts up.

Sky do not or will not help, they just bury the issue, they're support is all but useless, after months of resetting and trouble shooting for them and eventually getting an engineer visit who was of no use because he only dealt with the TV side, I got a call from support, saying the engineer couldn't find a problem, SERIOUSLY he called a colleague who stated it was the ONT, the support person then said the network team wanted the unqualified support person to do trouble shooting I asked what exactly he was going to do he couldn't or wouldn't give me an answer so I then reeled off what had been done 1 week previously to which the support said it's what the the network team asked for I then asked again what exactly are you going to test and how? Again no direct answer, I then made my feelings known and decided it was best to end the call, I then received an email saying glad to hear the problem is fixed 🤪

I have even tried to get sky stream but that proved pointless. Apparently there's a fault with my line.

So network team won't admit there is  a fault, but sales won't let me have Stream as there is a fault. Work that out.

I was told on more than one occasion that support cannot move a problem up the food chain, so can't send a problem directly to network it takes persistence to push them to even call a supervisor who maybe will move it up. 

They need to rename customer service to "customer not service we can't help as sky don't give a -----"

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion