Discussion topic: Voice light orange, no internet.

This message was authored by james+rayner This message was authored by: james+rayner

Re: Voice light orange, no internet.

I had massive problems only way I got it resolved was writing an email to CEO of sky group Dana Strong. Explained everything they were so helpful and sorted it out..

This message was authored by Spidergirl This message was authored by: Spidergirl

This problem doesn't happen to me often anymore, but when it does it's always when I am not at home and can't fix it - not great as the security cameras and heating are all connected. The thought of pointlessly sitting on the phone to tech support again doesn't really appeal, so as soon as my contract is up in April, I'll be moving to a more reliable company. I'm afraid this feels like the only viable fix.

This message was authored by razy60 This message was authored by: razy60

Thanks to those that repy,

ATM I'm trying to leave but sky are not making it easy, as I'm at the start of my new contract they want a redemption payment and want to send an engineer. This will be the 3rd time they said an engineer would call, it's not happened in the last 3 months so I don't expect to hear from them. 

Unless anything changes dramatically I'm out.

This message was authored by Robbo0410 This message was authored by: Robbo0410

Strange I've just got a replacement router as I'm having issues with it losing power, broadband is absolutely fine apparently, just powered new router up for 1st time, voice light is amber but the WiFi is working, that's very odd as I've had the voice light disconnecting the WiFi in the past, any reason as to why it's still working even when the lights amber?

This message was authored by Jason2310 This message was authored by: Jason2310

I had slow Broadband for a couple of days so Sky sent me a new Router. It was a pain going through everything Smart in the house and getting everything reconnected but it seemed to be fine until just after midnight when the programme we were watching stopped and we also noticed that the Internet had gone from my laptop. I upgraded to Sky Ultrafast 1 a few months ago.

Rebooted the Router and also reset it but the Internet light is off and the Telephone light is orange. This is really frustrating. 

When Openreach installed the Fibre, they had to lay new cable from the street into the house. I am about 100 metres away from the nearest green box.

Can anyone offer any help or solutions please? 

Sky Q 2TB, 2 Mini Boxes, Sky Fibre.

These are my stats

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time WAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00 LAN Up 26984 2226 0 57847 2393 00:43:13 WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 24455 1853 0 17846 521 00:41:38 WLAN (5 GHz) Up 1085828 1054671 0 1240809 1064800 00:41:37

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 0 kbps 0 kbps Line Attenuation 0 dB 0 dB Noise Margin 0 dB 0 dB

Also here is the only log

970-00:00:20 syslog: [ 19.222000] eth2 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
1970- 00:00:20 syslog: [ 20.208000] eth1 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
1970 00:00:21 syslog: [ 21.220000] eth1 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
1970- 00:00:21 syslog: [ 21.249000] eth2 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link DOWN.
1970- 00:00:22 syslog: [ 22.284000] eth2 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
1970- 00:00:23 syslog: [ 23.279000] eth1 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
1970- 00:00:24 syslog: [ 24.350000] eth3 (Ext switch port: 4) (Logical Port: 12) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
1970- 00:00:34 syslog: [ 30.572000] Line 0: xDSL link down
1970- 00:00:34 syslog: [ 34.582000] Line 0: xDSL link down
1970- 00:00:41 syslog: Voice Disconnected
1970- 00:00:46 syslog: Voice Connecting
1970: 00:51 syslog: [ 46.582000] Line 0: xDSL link down
1970-:00:54 syslog: Voice Disconnected
1970-:01:34 syslog: sky dhcpc client (v0.0.1) started

@Jason2310 I've had issues with the voice light turning orange, think you just have to wait it out unfortunately or reset the router, ours went orange for a few hours the other night then sorted itself out after a few hours 

This message was authored by GroverKen This message was authored by: GroverKen

Waiting it out never works for me. The last twice I've been on holiday the voice light has gone to orange and the house has been left with no heating, Alexa-based lighting or security cameras. Rebooting on return fixes it immediately.

Just waiting for my new BT contract to kick in!

@GroverKen I don't even think I use the voice feature whatever it is, all I know is that when the light goes amber it knocks all the WiFi off on every device, what even is the voice feature?

This message was authored by ChimpM4ster This message was authored by: ChimpM4ster

Exactly what happens to mine. The connection drops probably every 10 days or so, and the dreaded orange light of death remains on the Voice.

Sky Support don't understand this issue. They always imply I have WiFi issues (reading off their scripts no doubt) 

I'm on Ultrafast 1. Could it be a problem specific to this product?

My router power is connected via an extension cable. Could this be affecting it? (unlikely... but in absence of SKy helping us, we're left to guess)

This message was authored by james+rayner This message was authored by: james+rayner

I had extact same problem. Open engineer told me Sky were wrong to upgrade me to Ultrafast due to the fact my property is more than 300 meters from the street cabinet. For Ultrafast to work correctly property needs to be within 300 metres of any green street cabinets 

This message was authored by ChimpM4ster This message was authored by: ChimpM4ster

But it works perfectly most of the time. Only when this random reboot happens, then it's a problem because the Voice light remains orange and there's no internet supply (though that light is green).

It also worked perfectly for 6+ months until this issue started occuring in November 2023.

I have just rang Sky to speak to them about the issue. The guy on the phone said that there was a technical issue last night that caused the problem. He did something on his end and asked me to do a Power Cycle on my end - remove the power to the router and the ONT box for 30 minutes - and he reckons that that will cure it.

In the unlikely (his words) event it happens again, I will be receiving an engineer visit.

Instead on some other threads here that powering down for 30+ minutes refreshes your connection and puts on on a different exchange or something. (not your local exchange, something else ... I'm not smart enough to know).

I also did this yesterday, not by choice but because we had a mains power outage

SrRe: Voice light orange, no internet.

Yeah it's an odd one I've just got up this morning and the voice light has went amber overnight, it appears the only way to sort it is a reset, weird thing is all the other lights are green all the lights are on ONT, traffic is going back and forth between the 2 devices but no WiFi, honestly for what you pay a month for Gigafast, Sky's hardware is absolutely terrible

*Edited just checked the router settings and can see the WiFi is actually enabled but there's no broadband even though all the lights on router are green bar the voice 🤦🏻‍♂️

Screenshot_2024-01-12-09-29-55-78_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion