Discussion topic: Voice light on router keeps going orange requiring manual reset

This message was authored by tinting This message was authored by: tinting

Voice light on router keeps going orange requiring manual reset

I had sky install full fibre just over a year and experienced problems since beginng using the same router and set up as previous with the same devices attached, apart from my phone line now being plugged into the router  and nothing has changed within my house to affect the wifi. The router previously had no issues with these connections. It is obvious that full fibre installation is the problem.

For over a year the voice light has intermittently gone orange, the others three lights remain green, this requires a manual reset of the router to access wifi, an inconvenience if you are at home and able to access the router, if you are elderly or disabled then this becomes a serious concern for your personal safety being unable to reach the router if you use wifi calling or your landline to call for help.

I have had 4 replacement routers, numerous OpenReach and sky engineers who have been unable to resolve the issue. Each time OpenReach attends they find faults, sometimes multiple both with the set up and computer errors. 

Dealing with Sky is awful, each call involves at least one hour on the phone and as I have reset the router most times before I call they say we can see no problem, well no as I have reset the router, the problem is not that fibre does not work, it does, the problem is that it keeps disconnecting requiring a manual reset.

If I manage to get a stable mobile signal to call they do find faults with the voice as comments from recent outage  "Line test Sky says voice port poor and not connecting to hub, failure connection to ONT box" Sky . Refered to the technical where I receive a text message saying everything is working, yes because I have reset the router. I could go on as the last year is groundhog day and no person at Sky takes ownership, each agent dealing with my complaint as though it is the first time I have raised the problem.

I reckon their is issues with the external fibre  line as everything seems to indicate that is the case, as cited by several agents and engineers but OpenReach obviously dont want the expense of replacing their mistakes and sky feel they cannot force them, despite me contracting with Sky and they subcontracting to OpenReach.

I have been told by engineers that there is no point going elsewhere as the problem will only follow me,. In this digital world where my house alarm requires wifi, hive heating, lights, robotic vacuum, SkyQ etc etc an unreliable wifi when away from home affect my home security and makes it very difficult for a me to control my heating as the hive thermostat/lights require wifi for the app to work. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion