Discussion topic: Ultrafast to Gigafast

This message was authored by tottenhamwin This message was authored by: tottenhamwin

Ultrafast to Gigafast

Recently moved from Ultrafast with speeds at 145mbps to Gigafast advertised as 900mbps with a minimum of 600 mbps guaranteed but I am currently only achieving 350-430. I am using the 'old' superfast router.

Why do Sky not mention that in order to achieve advertised speeds, you need to:

i) move to a new wi fi 6 router

ii) have a direct ethernet connection.

Is this misrepresentation by omission?

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Ultrafast to Gigafast

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@tottenhamwin 

I do agree with you the ISP world certainly leverages on the fact that the general consumer is not aware of what they actually need or the technology behind it.

Its probably partially dishonest in some ways but a lot of other businesses/sectors do similar practices.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@tottenhamwin 

@tottenhamwin wrote:

Is this misrepresentation by omission?

No not at all. 

All these high speed broadband packages are the same, they are designed to provide many clients at once with UHD streaming speeds. They are not for you to connect a single WiFi client and run a speedtest of 1gbps because it just does not have any real world domestic use case.

Even if you connected via ethernet for a download and wanted to use the full 1gbps its very unlikely the server on the other end would serve it to you that fast. E.g. the latest consoles struggle to tip the 1gbps scale when downloading. 

If you want to see those shiny high numbers for literally no other reason at all other than to look good then you'd need to invest in a 3rd party WiFi 6 router along with a WiFi 6 client to use 

There is a great video released recently from a big YouTube channel that basically explains why you do not need that speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwdDAZruMKk

I am NOT a Sky Employee
tottenhamwin
Topic Author
This message was authored by tottenhamwin This message was authored by: tottenhamwin

Thanks for your response @jamesn123 

You certainly clear up some misconceptions. The Youtube link is particularly informative.

I wonder though, in the real world where most people do not have your level of knowledge, whether it is honest to sell speeds that are either impossible to achieve or would need additional/new infrastructure. 

It seems wrong that Sky sell Gigafast without saying the router will need upgrading to access the speed. Ultimately the cost to the consumer is higher in real terms .

Strangely enough I am satisfied with the speeds actually achieved as I can do everything that I need.

I just think  ISPs will/are causing customer dissatisfaction by not being clear with their marketing of this product.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@tottenhamwin 

I do agree with you the ISP world certainly leverages on the fact that the general consumer is not aware of what they actually need or the technology behind it.

Its probably partially dishonest in some ways but a lot of other businesses/sectors do similar practices.

I am NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion