Discussion topic: Turning off sky router wifi

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: Turning off sky router wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@LT1982Do you have a wired device that you can complete this action with or do you only have Wi-Fi enabled devices?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Stephpogson This message was authored by: Stephpogson

I have tried this on my router for the same reason but get the same issue when apply.  The only Ethernet browser capable device we have is a PlayStation page opens fine and can untick all options and tick to sync 2.4 and 5 settings but apply returns to error page

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Stephpogson the hub reboots after a change is applied so you will lose connection for a few minutes. You will know if the change has worked if the wifi led has not lit once the hub is fully booted. Note if you have splitthe 2 wifi bands you will need to turn both off on their re levant tabs.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Stephpogson This message was authored by: Stephpogson

As soon as we select apply you get page not found when you go back in to the router the settings are still enabled

This message was authored by ADavies This message was authored by: ADavies

Hi, 

I've done some further tests and it seems the my SkyQ brings down my Internet if its wired in and knows has saved wifi settings at the same time (so suspect WiFi doesn't auto turn off when there is a wired connection). As @Chrisee said both the router and SkyQ box display the WiFi, so the issue is toggling the router 'Enable WiFi Access Point' on both bands does turn off it off on the router but SkyQ box keeps broadcasting it.

To stop the SkyQ box broadcasting the WiFi you need to reset the network settings on the box so it forgets the WiFi.

So once you've turned off WiFi on router and done the above on the SkyQ box you will have no sky Wifi broadcasting in your home.

This message was authored by George+LakoNAS This message was authored by: George+LakoNAS

Thank you. It was driving me mad. I had unticked all the boxes, I was logging in and out of the router and everything was unticked but the Wi-Fi network was on! Tried Chrome after reading this and everything unticked but Wi-Fi still on! Then on Chrome, I  ticked the Access point on (both 2.4 and 5), applied and then unticked and applied and hooray! The old Wi-Fi is off. The new Tp Link Deco mesh is brilliant. 

Thank you @cookiemonsteruk 

This message was authored by Jorawar+Singh This message was authored by: Jorawar+Singh

Hi All

Just to confirm, do i need to hardwire into the sky router to be able to switch the wifi setting off? My laptop doesnt have a ethernet port.  Or can i do it wirelessly, advice would be greatly appreciated. (NOVICE LEVELS HERE)! 

Thanks

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jorawar+Singh 

You don't necessarily need to, but some hardware/software combinations (particularly Apple devices on WiFi with Safari) really don't work well when accessing Sky Hub administrator settings.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Jorawar+Singh This message was authored by: Jorawar+Singh

@TimmyBGood thanks, i used Chrome and it connected to the router.  I was able to deselct the three items to stop the wifi but encountered a new problem.  The SkyQ mini does not connect to the main sky hub anymore 😖.  Any way to disable the router wifi but still allow the Sky Mini to connect? 

Thanks again.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jorawar+Singh wrote:

Any way to disable the router wifi but still allow the Sky Mini to connect? 

You should, I think, be able to use their WPS buttons to link the Mini to the main Q box.

Actually, having said that, I'm not sure how the Mini gets an IP address if there's no Hub WiFi (without having an ethernet cable)

@TimmyBGood unfortunately the WPS option doesnt seem to work, still gives a MR001 connection error. 

Thanks for the help. I will see if there is a work around. 

@Jorawar+Singh 

I guess giving the Mini box its own hard set IP address might work, if that's possible.

This message was authored by George+LakoNAS This message was authored by: George+LakoNAS

I use TP-Link HomePlugs for both the Sky Q and Sky mini. So the signal goes to the Ethernet ports of the Sky Q and Sky mini. Much more stable and fast than Wifi. I have disabled the Wifi on both Sky Q and Sky mini. 

@George+LakoNAS Thanks George, i forgot to post but this is exactly what i did to get the box working.  Hardwired it to a TP link from a nearby socket. Thanks.

This message was authored by BenGG This message was authored by: BenGG

Cant even use chrome on an iPhone to view or use this Sky community!! Only safari. Absolutely crazy (in)compatibility from Sky in general.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion