Discussion topic: Sky WiFi Max Problem

This message was authored by Baggienath7 This message was authored by: Baggienath7

Sky WiFi Max Problem

Hello, so I today received delivery of my new SR213 Wi-Fi 6 hub and all I can say is very disappointing, the Wi-fi single strength seems to lack compared to the SR103 and the speeds are very up and down, I ended up unplugging it and putting the old SR103 back in, not sure if that's because it connects more affective with the sky boosters I have but through out the home it was very patchy and at some points only getting 1mb on my PlayStation, this can't be correct surely? I called and cancelled today but they are sending me out one 'pod' considering I already have two boosters not sure what that will change, any ideas on how to increase this speeds and maintain a solid Wi-Fi connection? 

also I noticed the WPS button didn't work very well when trying to connect sky glass and sky streaming pucks so I'm not sure it's as stable yet..

Moderator note: subject of thread updated to better reflect the conversation

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: SKY WIFi 6 delivery

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Baggienath7 wrote:

they are sending me out one 'pod' considering I already have two boosters not sure what that will change

The Max bundle includes the loan of up to three pods, and these are dedicated WiFi 6 mesh hardware from Plume (as are the guts of the SR213) rather than any previous Sky mesh hardware which uses much older AirTies technology.

You can find multiple reviews of the Plume 'powerpod' / 'superpod' mesh online: it's really rather good.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Baggienath7
Topic Author
This message was authored by Baggienath7 This message was authored by: Baggienath7

Thank you, had my first delivery of the pod today and it's improved it massively 

This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

So is this hub now available to non-business users?

Baggienath7
Topic Author

Yes, just not to SKY Q customers just yet I believe.

This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

Yep, just read up on it, perhaps at the end of the year..

This message was authored by hjks1707 This message was authored by: hjks1707

Re: Sky WiFi Max Problem

very dissapionted with my new max hub .wifi is very patchy . sky glass pauses now . im on the fast service broadband wish i hadnt change routers. . so many more black spots for wifi

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@hjks1707 the package allows up,to 3 wifi pods if you have rooms which dont hit decent wifi speeds but you have to ask for them. The very high speeds that wifi 6 offers will only apply if your devices support wifi6 themselves.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by adwarduk This message was authored by: adwarduk

@Baggienath7  thats my experience as well.  I found with mine moving the pod a few feet in one direction where sockets allow improves it even more.  Its the key make sure the pod is not right on the edge of the range of the hub.  I'll be getting a 2nd pod as I've still got a deadzone and theres a stream device just at the edge of the deadzone but all in all its working ok.  The one thing I also noticed is it took about 2-3 hrs for the pod to full stabalise but thats normal on mesh networks.

Sky stream, sky ultrafast with WiFi Max inc pods. BT halo3+ for none home usage. All round nerd 邏
This message was authored by Rahul This message was authored by: Rahul

I have a issue with the pods not connecting at all ? I have had 2 replacements and none of them connecting also had the hub replaced.

I have had the engineer out to look at it and fix it but they were unable to find the fault or fix the issue too.

Very disappointing atm. It's with a special team atm so let's see what happens? 

Baggienath7
Topic Author

So I ended up cancelled it and going back to my original sky set up, even though it's meant to offer a better service, they are clearly not ready for it yet and I don't fancy paying extra to be a Guinea pig. Even the sky engineer said it might be best to plug in your old set up for a while.

This message was authored by K-Man72 This message was authored by: K-Man72

Tell me about it,  I decided to upgrade to the new (apparently all singing all dancing) Sky Max router, and what a mistake that was. The wifi network is extremely patchy,  compared to my original Sky Q Hub. Sky sent me a Sky Pod extender,  which doesn't event connect to the router (white led continues to flash), and to top it off, Sky are refusing to send out the previous Sky Q hub as it has been deprecated. However,  I do have a Sky engineer coming out, so let's see what they say. It may just be a faulty router, but I'm doubtful /Kris

This message was authored by PezzaJP This message was authored by: PezzaJP

The Pods only support wifi 5  - Disapointinly its ony the hub that does wifi 6.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@K-Man72 wrote:

to top it off, Sky are refusing to send out the previous Sky Q hub as it has been deprecated.

The millions of Q Hubs distributed since late 2015 become obsolete when PSTN is switched off next year, because they cannot support Sky Talk Internet Calls: they will all need replacing by Sky Broadband Hubs or Max Hubs before December 2025.

Why Sky typically won't let users go from a Max Hub to a Sky Broadband Hub is unclear.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by DobuitaSt This message was authored by: DobuitaSt

Hey mate, sorry for the massive bump on this. If I buy the plume superpods individually will they work out the box with the sky max hub?

Cheers 🙂

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion