Discussion topic: Sky Wi fi Max Availabilty

This message was authored by Sarah+Gis This message was authored by: Sarah+Gis

Sky Wi fi Max Availabilty

I upgraded to Sky Gigafast FTTP,was told by advisor last week,by upgrading to Gigafast,I would automatically get the Sky Max Hub - the White one by the Advisor,they are now saying that WiFi Max not available in my Area,the Black Hub I currently have is the 2nd Replacement one , and am having so many issues,WiFi not connecting to my phone which is in the same room & WiFi not connecting with the Ring Doorbell,any advice as feel I am being given the run around by Sky.

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Sky Wi fi Max Availabilty

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sarah+Gis 

The advisor was wrong you do not get Sky Max automatically with Gigafast. Sky Max is a separate addon. 

Note that Sky max is not available to anyone who has Sky Q, do you have Sky Q?

Regarding have issues with your devices not connecting, Sky Max likely would not solve this anyway as its more aimed at increasing WiFi speeds using WiFi 6 rather than increasing range or stability. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Sarah+Gis
Topic Author

Yes, I do have Sky Q,but it's connected via Ethernet Cable & wi fi is turned off,my mobile phone doesn't stay connected to the WiFi & the Ring Doorbell alternates between saying it can't get a WiFi signal/ connection to saying the WiFi signal/ connection is very weak,also the WiFi struggles in my kitchen & loo,which are both at the front of the property.When Engineers have been out they say that Wi fi Max is now available for Sky Q. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Sarah+Gis wrote:

was told by advisor last week,by upgrading to Gigafast,I would automatically get the Sky Max Hub - the White one by the Advisor,they are now saying that WiFi Max not available in my Area

Wrong on both counts, unfortunately.  As @jamesn123 indicates, WiFi Max is an add-on at extra monthly cost: the black Sky Broadband Hub is the standard hardware for FTTP. There's no 'area' restriction for Max (that wouldn't make sense) but it's not currently compatible with Sky Q television Mini box use.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Sarah+Gis wrote:

When Engineers have been out they say that Wi fi Max is now available for Sky Q. 

Our understanding is that it may be available at an address with a main Q box, but not where there are Q Minis (and Sky won't make an exception for ethernet use because it's just a flag on the account)

Sarah+Gis
Topic Author

Thanks for your reply,I don't have a Sky Q mini box,only the main Sky Q box.The person I spoke to last said Sky WiFi Max,not available for my postcode or phone number.i live in East Sussex.

@Sarah+Gis 

Restricting Max by location doesn't make sense technically: I guess it could be an entirely arbitrary thing to roll it out in stages, or perhaps for local in-house support availablity 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

I suspect the advisor is getting confused. They are likely checking your account via postcode/phone and its showing as not available to your home because you have Sky Q. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by mb.coupe This message was authored by: mb.coupe

I have just upgraded to Sky Ultrafast broad band giving me a speed upto 150, I too am having a problem with wifi reaching my ring door bell. I would like to add Wi Fi max to my account yet I can't find anyone to speak to who will assist me. The virtual helper is useless today & directs me to anywhere except the palce I need to be

David

Regards David
Sarah+Gis
Topic Author

I was on Sky Ultrafast and I have upgraded to the Gigafast, and there's still problems with my Ring Doorbell,I have been told that the WiFi Max router is a newer & better router than the Black Router I currently have,the black router I have currently I have had since February 17th this year and I have problems with devices and WiFi connection and the device & router are in the same room.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion