Discussion topic: Sky + TPLink

This message was authored by MS31 This message was authored by: MS31

Sky + TPLink

Hi all - Grateful for any help. I recently switched to Sky Max Hub from EE. To improve Wi-Fi in our house, and to provide Wi-Fi to a garden office, we have been using TP-Link power line adaptors. Since switching to Sky, I no longer have Wi-Fi in the garden office. I've even tried an Ethernet connection to the TP-link, but that wasn't recognised by my computer.  I have no idea what to do now - I've tried re-pairing, etc. I've heard Sky and TP link aren't always compatible. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?? All help is very welcome (and please note, I have very much not tech savvy!) Thanks in advance!

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Sky + TPLink

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MS31 I doubt there is a fundamental problem between the new SR213 Sky hub that Wifi Max uses and your powerline adapters if you are connecting from the ethernet ports on the hub to a PC. I had Wifi Max myself and succesfully used Devolo powerline adapters to an iMac as the wifi connection was too slow. So I would unplug the adapters and reconnect them and run  their set up again.

However I think you may hit issues if you try to hang one of Sky's "pod" extenders off a powerline link. Sky are still making changes to the Wifi Max set up to improve performance. One of the advantages of the package is you should be able to get a visit from an engineer but becaware thst officially Sky never support powerline adapters. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
MS31
Topic Author

Thanks! It says there's Wi-Fi, but it's only 1bar, which is odd given I had full signal when we were on EE.  I've unplugged, replugged, paired and repaired and it's not changed. 

I tried using an Ethernet cable, but it still seems to be assigned to our old router. I read somewhere that resetting it should help, so fingers crossed that works today! 

MS31
Topic Author

I should add - ours is a v simple set up. One sky max router, one puck for the tv, everthing else on Wi-Fi and no other problems in the house. It's just getting wifi to the shed... 

MS31
Topic Author

Well, I managed to reset the TP-Link, and can now get internet thru an Ethernet cable (yay!!). The wifi still only shows the little dot / one bar. Annoying that the wifi element doesn't seem to actually work - does anyone know if there's a fix?

This message was authored by DrDog This message was authored by: DrDog

I have just upgraded to a Sky Max Router from Sky Broadband SuperFast. Previously had a TP-Link extender working successfully to Wi-Fi connect with Ring Security Camera outside. I now find it impossible to reconnect using the Sky Max Router. I have attempted through Ethernet cable, WPS and TP-LINK website configuration. The RE light flashes on the extender but never reaches solid status.

Help please.

This message was authored by DrDog This message was authored by: DrDog

Further to this I called Sky Helpline and they posted me a new POD that very simply and powerfully extended the broadband range. After a few remote tests they suggested the new Sky broadband router was incompatible with my dated TP-Link extender.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion