Discussion topic: Scam: sky tech support and Team Viewer remote view app.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Scam: sky tech support and Team Viewer remote view app.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@icew wrote:

He seemed to get more angry with me as the time went on, I can't say why but I didn't trust this call from an unknown mobile number. 

Wouldn't be Sky even if calling from a UK landline: ISPs don't have the staffing or profit margin to proactively ring subscribers like that.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Puja+G This message was authored by: Puja+G

I had the same call today. It was an Indian man claiming to be a Sky member ringing to fix my internet speed. I believe him since my internet was quite slow. However as we proceeded with the call, he was very impatient and unprofessional. I asked him to be quicker as I had a meeting coming up and he said 'sure, I'll go through this slowly,slowly' 😕 

After a while, he asked me to go on [removed] When I asked him what the prices were there for he kept sweeping the question under the rug. Fortunately whilst on the call I was googling this scenario and came across this thread. Then on, I told him I knew this was a scam and hung up. 

Disgusting. Please be careful everyone!! Dont download anything anyone asks you to.

Moderator note: link to dodgy site.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Puja+G wrote:

It was an Indian man claiming to be a Sky member ringing to fix my internet speed. I believe him since my internet was quite slow.

As indicated above, ISPs just don't make such calls, even where an 'added value' subscription supplement such as Broadband Boost is in place and speed is proactively monitored: in such cases their communication is direct to Openreach.

This message was authored by Stucee90 This message was authored by: Stucee90

Just had the exact same call hung up coz couldnt hear them then they called back and got me to download that app and accept .

while they were on phone a found it was a scam so hung up again. Hope they never got any of my info.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Stucee90  If you gave them no codes off the app they got you to download or any personal information, then you should be okay. Have you deleted the software they asked you to download?

As a heads up no one from Sky will call you out of the blue unless you have called them first and they will go through basic security questions with you.

If you have Sky talk phone line you can put on Sky talk shield at no cost, this can be done following the link below.

https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-talk-shield/using-sky-talk-shield 

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Stucee90 This message was authored by: Stucee90

Yeah a deleted the app straight away and ran a malware on phone. A didn't get far enough for them To ask for codes 

This message was authored by Jonkaw This message was authored by: Jonkaw

Just happened to me checked my router lights then my speed then asked me to download tvqs on play store.

Didn't like this idea once I told him he hung up.

This message was authored by MCholet This message was authored by: MCholet

Someone has just tried to scam me claiming to be from Sky Tech support and aware that my broadband is slow. Had me check my speed (suspicious they couldn't do that themselves) and then asked me to download Teamviewer screenshare app onto my phone. When I refused to give access to my phone he got annoyed with me. They've been persistent calling me several times over the last 3 days but I've been working so they said they'd call back. Man had strong Indian accent and hard to understand. Called Sky who've now our Call Shield on our phone line. 

This message was authored by keuthw This message was authored by: keuthw

Just had a female caller claiming to be tech support (3rd time), informed me that my connection was slow, but didn't get any further , became annoyed when I asked why they were using my landline number rather than my mobile, I asked her to confirm they had my email address, but she said that information wasn't to hand. I suggested she find it and email me before calling again, but she hung up at this point. Interestingly did not use my name or ask if I was the account holder. 

@keuthw wrote:

Interestingly did not use my name or ask if I was the account holder. 

Cheaper scammers aren't going to have any personal information: all they know is their autodialer has reached a landline number from a list of those numbers currently in use by Sky subscribers.  The really cheap ones don't even do that: they just dial UK numbers and claim to be calling from 'your ISP'

This message was authored by Britsd This message was authored by: Britsd

I had a call the same as the warning but a quick google while he was on the phone and this advice saved me this time.. They sound so genuine but could not provide any account details... 

This message was authored by Daviddred This message was authored by: Daviddred

Same thing happened to me today. I hung up when I realised they were trying to gain remote access. Strong Asian accents. They kept on calling back using different numbers.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@DaviddredYou can put on talk sheild on your line and thus stop most if not all of these types of numbers getting through.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-talk-shield-start 

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Bazzer17 This message was authored by: Bazzer17

Phone call received from phone number 01512938778, Asian guy claiming to be from Sky Tech Support. Asked me how many devices were connected to my internet. Foolishly told him and he said that my internet was compromised by 3rd party's. He then asked me to download Team View Quick Support App on my phone so that they could give me a reset code. At this point I had a feeling and asked him for his sky tel number for me to phone him back to confirm he was legit. Surprise, surprise line went dead. Just be aware these scammers are out there. I've read that if you download this app and do what you say they can compromise your phone and its contents. 

This message was authored by Joanne85 This message was authored by: Joanne85

I just had the exact same call told them I would not download the app as it gave screen access they tried to tell me it did not. I told them I refuse to download the app and they hung up.

interesting I never told them what type of phone I had but they knew that

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion