Discussion topic: Scam: sky tech support and Team Viewer remote view app.

This message was authored by SimmeringSimm This message was authored by: SimmeringSimm

Scam: sky tech support and Team Viewer remote view app.

Hi, just alerting fellow Sky customers to a scam that is currently circulating.

I just received a call from a South Asian (possibly Indian) bloke claiming to be from "sky tech support". He claimed that I had a compromised Internet connection and that unauthorised users were registered on my home wifi network.

He then asked me to check the lights on my router, he said which ones were blinking and I said they were all solid green (he was trying to allude something was wrong with my connection).

The man then asked which type of phone I had (i did not disclose thatbi had a desktop due to a recent scam call) and he then told me to go to the play store and search for an app called "Team Viewer" and then told me to download "Team Viewer remote access" or something.

This would have allowed this scammer to have remote access to my phone and therefore my information, making this chap a Phishing Scammer.

Stay safe and keep on your toes.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mark-Br This message was authored by: Mark-Br Answer

Re: Scam: sky tech support and Team Viewer remote view app.

@Victoria168168 wrote:

The same scam happened to me today

This community page offers links and advice which will help if you receive scam calls, emails or texts.

Mark
Community Manager

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SimmeringSimm wrote:

He claimed that I had a compromised Internet connection and that unauthorised users were registered on my home wifi network.

Many, many such calls reported here: it's a major industry.  Worth noting that ISPs NEVER proactively phone subscribers about 'security issues': only the bad guys have the staffing to make outbound calls.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Victoria168168 This message was authored by: Victoria168168

The same scam happened to me today, an Indian man lied he was from Sky and wanted remote access to my laptop with remote viewer website to fix the slow internet speed. My speed is ok. 

This message was authored by Mark-Br This message was authored by: Mark-Br Answer

@Victoria168168 wrote:

The same scam happened to me today

This community page offers links and advice which will help if you receive scam calls, emails or texts.

Mark
Community Manager

This message was authored by LeeBl This message was authored by: LeeBl

This has just happened to me today as well. Pretty rude as when i told them they were a scam the expeltives began.

This message was authored by ClareLouise73 This message was authored by: ClareLouise73

Had EXACTLY the same call as other. Told my internet was intermittantly slow and that people from Liverpool and Chelsea had access to my internet.

Asked to go onto 'teamviewer' internet address and claimed if i didn't sort it out, if those accessing my internet were looking at inappropriate content i would be charged by the police.

I hung up.... had a similar call recently claiming to be Microsoft. [removed]

Moderator note: cursing.

This message was authored by RCh This message was authored by: RCh

Hi , just received this (4/5/2021) on my landline that's supposed to be ex-directory.

The number the call came from was 01237xxx078.

He said that there was unusual activity on my line, what devices to I have using the line, and to go to the AppStore. 

I am surprised that this has been going on since January and not been stopped yet!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@RCh wrote:

I am surprised that this has been going on since January and not been stopped yet!

Rather longer than that, but if law enforcement agencies in the countries where these calls originate* don't see them as a priority, it's difficult to see how they could be 'stopped': the technical solution requires global cooperation.

*I suspect Bideford isn't a hotbed of cybercrime ; )

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@RCh lot longer than a year these scams were happening when I was involved in managing advice agencies some 5 years back. There are things the authorities could have done but closing down operations that just require an internet connection and a computer in any city worldwide is a tad more complex think Wack-a-mole. Getting to the companies who supply the payments platforms is probably the best approach. 

At least Ofcom have released something  about not trusting the caller id. Oddly the Telcos should get the real orginating number so they can charge for the call not the spoofed number caller id shows but then you hit data protection etc. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Sboy This message was authored by: Sboy

Literally just had a call now and wanted to continue the awareness. This time he asked that I download Quick Support, which is basically another name for Team Viewer. I'm aware that these are used for scams so I asked the Indian chap to verify how much I pay a month if he is actually from Sky, he said I'm currently paying £110 a month (which is incorrect), once I told him this he promptly hung up.

Always ask them to verify that they're from Sky if you're ever unsure, they should have your details of they are genuinely from Sky, basics like address and name, but don't ever tell them your actual details as they may collect this data and use it another time. 

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Sboy  All good advise, I would add the no ISP will call a customer to tell them they have Broadband issues, so I would be putting the phone down right away without even engaging with them.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

@Sboy wrote:

Always ask them to verify that they're from Sky if you're ever unsure, they should have your details of they are genuinely from Sky, basics like address and name, 

Unfortunately the economics of the industry means, as @GD1 observes, domestic ISPs just don't make proactive outgoing support calls: only the bad guys are that well staffed.  It's increasingly unlikely that any unsolicited business call isn't either a dubious 'market survey', a sales pitch or an outright scam.

This message was authored by Sboy This message was authored by: Sboy

Yes, that is even better advice  to just ignore and hang up straight away.

I suspected it was a scam when I received the call but decided to see where it went as I've been getting quite a few of these calls now and I'm hoping they'll stop if I can catch them out with their **bleep**.  Really feel for those being scammed by these scum, shocking to think this is thriving so much lately with the lockdown etc. 

This message was authored by Joanne2Neil This message was authored by: Joanne2Neil

I've had this call today. Asked me to download team viewer support which I did.  Luckily though when it came up with a code I didn't provide this as it didn't sound right. Asked if he was from sky and he said he was, told him to give me his number and I would call him back but he didn't have an incoming number. Googled team viewer support when I was on the phone which found out it was a scam. So glad I didn't provide any details. Absolutely disgusting these people. 

This message was authored by icew This message was authored by: icew

I've just had a call from an Asian person claiming to be from Sky.  I've had a few calls like this in the past where they tell me there is an issue with my line or my router after they received a notification. 

He was very persistent and even tried to give me my sky account number and was trying to get me the install team viewer. He kept saying that he was from a secured sky server team and he wanted me to download team viewer so that he could show me the fault in my router.  With my limited networking skills I'm sure you can get those kinds statistics from your actual router admin screen? 

He then tried to convince me that the issue was with the line however I've not seen any drop in speed on the devices connected.  So I challenged him on where the issue lies. And he said both.  He seemed to get more angry with me as the time went on, I can't say why but I didn't trust this call from an unknown mobile number.  But I'll be calling sky support separately to make sure.  Managed to kept him on the phone for 10 minutes saving whoever was at the end of his list for another day. 

Stay safe everyone

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion