Discussion topic: Problems with Internet access freezing needing a hub reboot

Derek+Lester
Topic Author
This message was authored by Derek+Lester This message was authored by: Derek+Lester

Re: Problems with Internet access freezing needing a hub reboot

Been on the phone with SKY for over an hour, they cannot find any issues so will not book an openreach engineer.

They had their internal engineers check the system and they say it all looks fine (always does after a reboot so nothing new there). They are unable to grasp the concept of an intermittant fault, it's either faulty or not in their eyes.

After I kicked off they agreed to send a WIFI engineer out to check the wifi connections, don't ask me why they are sending a WIFI engineer as that is OK after a reboot. Any engineer coming out is better than nothing.

You would think that they would have tools to check and monitor the connection over a period of time, apparently not or they can't be bothered. One thing that surprised me was they couldn't see that it had gone down twice this morning from their end. Luckily I took a photo of the router in it's down state.

So back to using a timer to power down the router at 1:00am and back on again after 5 minutes. Not an ideal solution, but as the router generally stays up for a day it does the trick. Can't see them ever getting to the bottom of this as no-one wants to take ownership of the problem.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Derek+Lester 

I think rebooting the router on a 24-hour timeslot is poor service and reliability when it goes down for an extended period that is a fault, and I'd register the downtime not apply a 24-hour timer to fix it. And if it goes down overnight all the time or after 24 hours and doesn't come back up after a short period it is a fault.

Recommend you gather your evidence for the outage so you can leave the contract penalty-free, and then move to a provider that will listen to your fault issue.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Derek+Lester
Topic Author
This message was authored by Derek+Lester This message was authored by: Derek+Lester

I took photos of the router when it was down and sent them over with the logs, they still didn't want to acknowledge there was an issue.

Can anyone recommend a different router that will work with the SKY VOIP?

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Derek+Lester 

Unfortunately, there isn't another router that will work with Sky's VoIP it is proprietary.

You can go VoIP with a non-proprietary VoIP solution and change the router to an Asus range which is recommended by most on the forum because they support DHCP Option 61 and DHCPv6 PD for IPv6 and are fully compatible with Sky's authentication method. And then add an ATA for VoIP from another service provider.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Derek+Lester
Topic Author

So I got a new router and out of the box it connects to the internet fine, however when I reconfigure the IPaddress range to how I need it, it won't then connect to the internet, or give out DHCP addresses to any devices? It just sits there with the Internet and VOIP lights flashing orange.

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@Derek+Lester 

I take it you are only doing this with the new router powered and the old one is switched off.

Update the range you require. Save the settings, once saved reboot the router and test.

You maybe trying to run before you can walk. Suspected that you have more going on with 

your network than can be seen.

Derek+Lester
Topic Author

So the new router is the only one powered on, it is connected via a single cable to a PC. The router starts fine and gives out a DHCP address to the PC. I then go into the DHCP range setting page, change the range from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 up to 254, which it does automatically. Press save and the router reboots itself. When it comes back up it doesn't connect to the internet or give the PC an ip adress, so I cannot get back in to edit it. I then have to press reset to return it to factory settings and it works fine.

@Derek+Lester 

Are you changing it on the 3 places in the advaced lan settings,

LAN TCP/IP Setup
IP Address:  .  .  .   from 0 to 1 this line
IP Subnet Mask:  .  .  . 

Use Router as DHCP Server
Starting IP Address:  .  .  .  also here
Ending IP Address:  .  .  .  and here
Derek+Lester
Topic Author

Yes, all three places. Exactly the same as my old router, which works OK until it freezes.

When you first connected, did the router update and FW automatically, and what version is it on just now?

Derek+Lester
Topic Author

It did't seem to do any FW update when it started. We are away for a few days, so the old one is back up now, with overnight reboot.

Will post the current FW version of the new one when we are back.

Since you are old SR203 to new SR203 and you did have a backup from the old, you should be able

to restore the new SR203 from that backup file which would retain all the settings.

Another option that you may wish to try also. 

Maybe a pain, but i would try the new router as it is for a few days to see if there is any issues

like you are having before with the slow downs etc.

Should be no reason that the ip change is doing what you see, unless the WAN interface does not

like the change...

Have a good break 

Derek+Lester
Topic Author

Yeah, I backed up the old one and restored it on the new one, that was the first thing I did, and it wouldn't start. So I thought they were incompatible, so I did a reset and started doing a manual config. As soon as you make a change to the ip config it stops.

Is this a router that SKY has sent you because off your issues?

If so think you should request another replacement,

Derek+Lester
Topic Author

I can't run the new router without changing the ip adresses, I have 15 security cameras on fixed IP adresses and various other devices I don't want to change.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion