Discussion topic: Problems with Internet access freezing needing a hub reboot

Derek+Lester
Topic Author
This message was authored by Derek+Lester This message was authored by: Derek+Lester

Re: Problems with Internet access freezing needing a hub reboot

IMG_1386.pngIMG_1385.pngIMG_1383.jpegIMG_1384.jpeg

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Derek+Lester 

Just waiting for the screenshots to be approved by the powers that be.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mae-3  Done 🙂

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Derek+Lester
Topic Author
This message was authored by Derek+Lester This message was authored by: Derek+Lester

IMG_1388.png

@Derek+Lester 

The router stats do show a connection on the fibre of the service you subscribe to but unfortunately, an intermittent fault may not show on the router stats. You should not have to keep rebooting or resetting the router under normal operation.

I still think that the intermittent fault is owing to a poor connection and a dirty connector on the fibre at the splitter or further upline that you are missing on the router stats because it occurs too fast. The router stats are just a quick snapshot and don't offer any useful information on the continuity of the fibre. A BT Openreach engineer will be needed to investigate further, Sky engineers are not qualified to look at the fibre, splitter or further uplink.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@Derek+Lester 

My recommendation is this is re-escalated but this time to BT Openreach for a look at the points raised above.

-------

Derek+Lester
Topic Author

So I assume that SKY will have to escalate to BT on my behalf? If I phone SKY and report the problem, they just tell me they cannot see an issue, so won't raise a case.

One thing, since the reboot a PC connected directly to the router is showing 516 download and 72 upload. My ipad, located next to the router is showing 62.2 and 35.9 down and up. I usually get around 300 on the 5ghz WIFI connection.

The connection is up and down like  yoyo, see attached.2023-12-20_09-49-01_000.png

@Derek+Lester 

Your contract is with Sky so they will need to escalate the points raised to BT Openreach, unfortunately, I'm only a retired telecommunications engineer and software engineer with experience in these issues and I don't work for Sky. 😎

-------

@Derek+Lester 

The issue with first-line support and most people is they think fibre is the holy grail for reliability and it never goes wrong once fitted, that isn't the fact it is the most reliable technology but does go wrong occasionally especially when first fitted with damage to the fibre because of a bend, poor splice or dirty connector at the points raised. 

But you do need to be testing the connection over a wired ethernet connection not wireless, and if that keeps reporting poor throughput, random disconnections and poor reliability as in your case then there is a fault.

-------

Derek+Lester
Topic Author

Ok thanks for your help. SKY won't open a case unless they can see a problem, as this is intermittant there is no chance of getting a case raised.

Shame I closed the engineer chat as I might have got some help as it's an ongoing issue.

Can someone on here set up a chat session with the engineers again?

@Derek+Lester 

You can open a case with Sky by raising a complaint about poor reliability with all the points raised.

-------

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@mae-3 

Looking at his stat's and also photo off hub.

Wonder if he really should do a network test with ethernet connected to hub, with the collision packets

i think there is something wrong and there is more to this,?

The led's look off, with brightness, and think the telephone is orange looks like from the picture, rather than green and that should be a conceren even if not using the landline.

@JimM1

The collision packets are only 42, that is fine. (correction).

-------

@Derek+Lester 

Collisions are fine, correction.

-------

@Derek+Lester 

Collisions on the LAN are fine, only 42 collisions so that is okay. Go back to my recommendation of a BT Openreach engineer, sorry.

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion