Discussion topic: Problems with Internet access freezing needing a hub reboot

This message was authored by Derek+Lester This message was authored by: Derek+Lester

Problems with Internet access freezing needing a hub reboot

I moved to SKY full fibre in late October and since then my SKY router speed keeps getting slower and slower and eventually does not allow internet access. Starts off over 500mbps and slowly tails of to around 40mbps and then freezes altogether with no internet access. As soon as it is re-booted it works fine for a couple of days and then it slowly goes down. I can see in the stats that the fibre side is still showing full speed, just nothing getting through and I also lose the landline.

I had a call with SKY last saturday, as it was down while I was away (which means my security cameras are down as well!!). They tested the line and said they could see a fault and would arrange an engineer call on Monday. As expected there was no call but I did get a text saying was everything OK. I replied NO and got a reply with a telephone number to call.

When I called back he checked the line and couldn't see a problem (the previous Agent hadn't even raised the issue, even though they could see it). I explained that it takes a day or too to see the problem come back and as I had just rebooted the router it looked OK. So then he said he couldn't book an engineer as there was no issue! Even after I explained again how this is happening he said they had no way on the system to raise an engineer visit unless there is a fault present, even though he could see in the logs it is constantly needing rebooting.

Anyway, I have now set up a timer so the box is automatically rebooted every night, will see how that goes.

Just wondered if anyone else has the same issue and how it was resolved?

Best Answers
Derek+Lester
Topic Author
This message was authored by Derek+Lester This message was authored by: Derek+Lester Answer

Re: Problems with Internet access freezing needing a hub reboot

Having had the external connection replaced the internet has been up for over a week now without an issue, longest period for 4 months. So it seems the external connection was momentarily dropping the connection and the SKY Router doesn't recover from that.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Derek+Lester 

Can you explain what equipment you are using, Sky Q or SR203 and whether you are using a wireless or wired connection to the cameras?

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Derek+Lester
Topic Author
This message was authored by Derek+Lester This message was authored by: Derek+Lester

The hub is an SR203, I have a SKY Q box and 2 mini's.

The cameras are all wired and record back to a NAS on the network. The problem I have is I can normally view the cameras over the internet, which I can't when it is down.

The real issue here is why it keeps going down, even though it is still full speed into the hub.

@Derek+Lester 

The post has been escalated to Sky as it seems you have a fault.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Derek+Lester
Topic Author

Thanks for that.

Not really holding out much for getting a response....

@Derek+Lester 

It sounds like you have a poor connection on the fibre connection to the ONT or elsewhere, or it is a DNS issue with Sky's servers. This has been highlighted in the escalation that I have done. Please watch out for the blue bubble when Sky reply.

-------

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there! Thank you for escalating this. We have sent an invite to Derek+Lester.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Derek+Lester 

Would be useful to see your router stats as the problem doesnt sound like an external line issue to me

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@jamesn123 

A splice alignment issue on the fibre where the connector is dirty the router stats wouldn't show this fact on the new installation for fibre, only intelligence about fibre connectors helps. The ONT diagnostics may show it at the physical layer but those stats aren't available, unfortunately.

-------

@jamesn123 

https://utilitiesone.com/common-problems-faced-in-ftth-fiber-splicing-and-troubleshooting-tips 

-------

Derek+Lester
Topic Author

The fibre connection to the router has always been good, as it slows down the speed into the router remains the same, it just isn't getting through. Then the router just stops until it is rebooted.

I have a SKY Engineer working with me at the moment, we did a reset on the router last night and so far it is running still.

Derek+Lester
Topic Author

SKY asked me to do a reset, so I backed up my config and did the reset and then restored my config, it has been up a couple of days now so will continue to monitor.

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Update - spoken to @Derek+Lester and after some tests and monitoring, this has been resolved 🙂

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
Derek+Lester
Topic Author

Unfortunately the issue is back again this morning, internet slowed and then failed twice today already.

Currently running at 89mbps download and 19mbps upload after powering down and back up again.

@Derek+Lester 

Can the community see a post of the router stats while you have the issue?

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion