Discussion topic: Play station portal

This message was authored by WhatAKerfuffle This message was authored by: WhatAKerfuffle

Re: PlayStation portal won’t connect to Sky internet

Thanks @cookiemonsteruk - I did already try this last night but have tried it again this morning and it still hasn't made any difference 😢

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@WhatAKerfuffle do you have the Wifi Max router by any chance and are using the parental controls? Standard Sky hubs have no access control so if you have one of those I am puzzled by the request but if you have set up controls on a Wifi Max you msy need to use the My Sky app to approvectge connection.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by WhatAKerfuffle This message was authored by: WhatAKerfuffle

Thanks @Chrisee - no it's just the normal black broadband hub. I have checked the 'broadband shield' settings and the only box that's checked is the one relating to preventing suicide and self-harm related things. It's all default settings 🤷🏼‍♀️

@WhatAKerfuffle which is very strange as you probably know devices link to Sky hubs by choosing the SSID and entering the wifi passcode correctly. The standard hubs cant filter by mac address or similarsnd Sky does not flash up a web page requiring you to enter any detail which that error screen implies.

I know these portals do require fast wifi as the game runs on remote servers so you need far better link thsn playing on a local console but if a hot spot connects I would expect Sky wifi to do likewise.

All I can advise is to reset the portal so it forgets the Sky connection and try again after that. Unless somebody else has tried this before.

There are a number of unresolved issues with devices like Apple's home hubs not connecting which Sky are looking into so there is an outside chance this is another example. 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@WhatAKerfuffle I can see that your post has been escalated to the Sky team who support the forum who should be in touch soon to offer you a private chat session to get this sorted. Keep an eye onnthe forum as if you miss the message just click the chat icon which will be added to the forum pages for you to use.saving a long phone call. 

However can you try the factory reset solution before starting the chat please.

Thank you to everyone that replied and offered suggestions. Thankfully, I have managed to resolve the issue this evening.

I found that Sony recommend that the PS Portal connects to the internet using a 5ghz connection and, if possible, turning off a router's ability to automatically switch between a 2.4ghz and 5ghz connection. I therefore managed to log into our Sky hub admin settings and unticked the box for 'synchronise 2.4ghz and 5ghz WiFi' - this immediately allowed the Portal to connect to our WiFi 😅

This message was authored by ookcaj123 This message was authored by: ookcaj123

This didnt work for me! So annoying! Any other ideas? I have renamed my 5GHZ channel so defo know I'm connecting to right one.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@ookcaj123 

Hopefully, you have checked the broadband shield isn't blocking it by DNS.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by ookcaj123 This message was authored by: ookcaj123

@mae-3 yes broadband shield disabled also, pulling my hair out!

This message was authored by JOHNxEIRE This message was authored by: JOHNxEIRE

- buddy try WiFi instead.

I have it working smooth even with PS5 on 2.4Ghz WiFi and PSP on 5Ghz but don't change the channel frequencies, leave them on default. it's not good upstairs out of range but what must be close to perfect downstairs

This message was authored by Rajv2 This message was authored by: Rajv2

Has anyone found a solution? i have split the connection into a 2.4 and 5 ghz wifi and this did nothing, i also disabled DNS and this did nothing, i have never experienced anything like this before

Re: Play station portal

Could i have a sky representative reach out to me, I have tried multiple suggestion on different skz forums nothing works. I have split my router into 2.4 and 5 ghz connections, reset the router, reset the PS Portal and nothing happens. I have recently only just joined sky on one of your fastest networks, and I feel a little loss for words on what to do.

@Rajv2 there is little Sky support can offer beyond suggesting splitting wifi bands or resetting the hub. If other devices conect properly it is very unlikely swapping your gub would help.

These portals do seem problematic as they need a lot of bandwifth to operate so you need to be fairly close to the hub not several rooms away. The specs state you need 15Mb/s but it would seem likely you need higher speeds than that and remember that the main console needs the same speeds. You should not need to split the bands as the portal is a wifi 5 device but playing not only needs decent bandwidth but it is apparently highly sensitive to jitter according to reviews which even slight amount of interference can cause which unless you live literally 20 metres away from your neighbours is quite likely.,

Gaming remotely sounds brilliant in theory but does require a fast stable connection between the server - your console  - and the client - the portal. Which has always been the main issue with all such systems. 

@Chrisee thanks for the reply.

regarding your comments I have a 500mb internet connection and the hub is located in the same room as the ps portal. So there should be little to no issue regarding Wi-Fi coverage etc. 

are you saying even if I buy a new hub this will still persist ? 

@Rajv2 but where is the PS5 as the connection to that is as important external network speed is irrelevant unless you are using the portal away frnom home.. Honestly dont know the solution but online reviews of the portal are full of warnings about the need for very good network connections. Sky hubs aren't the best but they should be fast enough.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion