Discussion topic: Play station portal

This message was authored by Ashleigh9 This message was authored by: Ashleigh9

Play station portal

My new broadband went live today. It is working great on everything other than not being about to connect  PlayStation portal is the main reason for upgrading my WiFi so this is very frustrating. When I try to connect to the WiFi it states 'This network requires an additional validation that used web browser'

Best Answers
This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia Answer

Re: Play station portal

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi Everyone

Thank you so much for highlighting this problem.

I've passed the information to our support teams to investigate and as soon as I have more information, I'll let you all know.

To save people from having to read the entire thread, I'll be marking the post as answered.

Update: 22/4. Our development team continue to work on this problem and are profusely sorry for the delay in being to resolve it.  In the meantime, if you leave the message on-screen for 10 minutes, does it then provide access? Unless you factory reset the hub, we're not expecting you to have to do this again.

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Greenfingers001 This message was authored by: Greenfingers001

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there @Ashleigh9 , I’ve escalated your post to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this. 

Just look out for the colourful bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

Ashleigh9
Topic Author

Resolved thank you, it was a problem with our hub

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there! We are glad to hear that. In that case we will be closing this invite now, but feel free to reach out if you need help with future queries. Thanks.

This message was authored by DanTuckey This message was authored by: DanTuckey

Mine is doing this also, how did you fix please?

Ashleigh9
Topic Author

I had to reset my router by holding the reset button for 30 seconds 

This message was authored by Andy851 This message was authored by: Andy851

PlayStation portal connection

I purchased a PlayStation portal and have broadband ultrafast 1 with broadband boost. It has a really poor connection to this device and drops out regularly. Should I be considering a faster broadband, a different router? Also there is mention of moving different devices to different channels so could this help? 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: PlayStation portal connection

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Andy851 playing games over wifi which isnt 100% is going to be a dire experience with ping spikes etc galore. The best solution is to connect the console by ethernet which is by far the best connection for anything other than casual gaming. If that is impractical connecting via a Powerline networking kit is a second best as these use your home's mains wiring to carry the signal .

You could consider paying more for a whole home wifi mesh set up or pay Sky £7.50 a month for their Wifi Max set up. Lastly you could buy an all singing and dancing 3rd part gaming router with tge best wifi and connect that to the ONT directly - Asus units will connect to Sky's services with minimal fettling - but a £10 ethernet cable would be better.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Chrisee thank you for your reply. I'm a bit of a novice with this as always just done everything through the router. My router is upstairs so can't run an Ethernet directly to console downstairs so sounds like powerline via the mains would be best to Ethernet connect to console. Would you advise any in particular? Do you think this alongside an upgraded broadband would do the job? Thanks

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Andy851 powerline should help a lot but buy it online as if it doesnt you can return it within 14days so no risk. TP-Link is good as are Devolo but only expect around 20 to 30% of the rated speed in practice.

You only need minimal bandwidth to play games say around 10Mb/s so no need to upgrade to play but game downloads are huge so extra bandwidth for thst is useful but not essential. Loads of offers around. Upgrading to Ultrafast+ maybe worth it assuming you are on full fibre as Ultrafast 1 can becdelivered over copper in which case you cannot buy any faster speeds. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Chrisee thank you for your help I will give those options a try. 

@Chrisee thank you for your advice. Upgraded the internet and purchased tp link connectors to link console through the Ethernet and it's working perfectly. 

This message was authored by WhatAKerfuffle This message was authored by: WhatAKerfuffle

PlayStation portal won’t connect to Sky internet

We have got a new PlayStation Portal but have so far been unable to connect it to our Sky Broadband (WiFi). It detects the network and accepts the password but then pops up with a message that says "this network requires an additional validation step that uses a web browser. Connect to a different network."

In all our years of Sky broadband, no other device has ever needed extra validation in order to connect so we're not sure what the problem is. We've rebooted the hub several times but this hasn't made a difference. I can use my phone as a hotspot to get into the portal so the device does work - does anyone have any idea what the problem might be and how we can resolve it? Many thanks.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: PlayStation portal won’t connect to Sky internet

@WhatAKerfuffle 

It seems Sky aren't happy with you connecting to the Playstation network, the message is more like a captive portal, not a residential broadband connection. Surely an error that Sky need to sort out. 😎

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: PlayStation portal won’t connect to Sky internet

@WhatAKerfuffle 

Try resetting the sky hub by holding down the reset button for 30 seconds

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion