Discussion topic: Open Reach dig has a mid Febuary date!

This message was authored by yummymummy88888 This message was authored by: yummymummy88888

Open Reach dig has a mid Febuary date!

I moved house and upgraded to the ultra fast broadband. Once ordered Sky realised the old copper line was disconnected and my initial and 2nd  installation date were cancelled. They have set up the tv and installed a new dish and an engineer marked out our driveway 3 weeks ago for open reach to install the fibre optics.  

The problem is, Sky have a new date for the next engineer visit of mid Febuary!! Untill Open reach update them,  that is their only estimate. 

We have had no internet at all since we moved in on 25 October.

Does anyone have any experience  into actual timeframes? I understand a lack of  open reach engineers but I really dont like the thought of no internet *cant fully use Sky Q or multiroom either) over Christmas. The phone signal is really poor where we are so mobile hotspotting is limited. 

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

Re: Open Reach dig has a mid Febuary date!

The installation date is moved by open reach as a holding measure and once the dig work is done they will contact you and attempt to bring the date forward

they do it this way to prevent engineers coming out for the install before the dig is done as it can cause additional extra delays if the different engineers and sub contractors overlap

You would need to call sky so they can check openrwchs systems for the estimate date of the dig work

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@yummymummy88888 

Unfortunately we've previously noted there's something of a flaw with the Home Move process where delays in provisioning FTTP aren't allocated any additional priority despite there being no existing service over copper, as would usually be the case during an in-place 'upgrade' from FTTC to FTTP at the same address.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
yummymummy88888
Topic Author
This message was authored by yummymummy88888 This message was authored by: yummymummy88888

Thanks everyone. I have called a few times and they say they are at the mercy of Open Reach as much as we are. 

We have 2 new housing estates being built near us and I see lots of Open Reach engineers busy at work at them.  I feel that may be the problem 😕 

yummymummy88888
Topic Author

Update:

The dig was done on Monday 😁, however...

I have been waiting for a text or call to set an installation date but heard nothing. On my 1st call to Sky to chase I was told to wait 3 working days. 2nd call just now was to wait another day.   

Losing all hope of getting internet and TV for Christmas. Kids home from uni soon too. 🙄

Did openreach run the cable when the did the dig or just left a rope sticking out?

If they have only don't the dig the the external work is not complete so open reach would not have updated sky or progressed the order fully yet

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@yummymummy88888 

As @mormegil indicates, if there's now an empty duct (or hopefully one with a draw-cord) then you still need both first stage (optical drop cable from local CBT to CSP) and second stage (CSP fusion-spliced pigtail to ONT) carried out: depending on the location and local Openreach resources those might be two separate operations or done at the same time.  Unfortunately availability of fusion-splicing personnel is distinctly limited, and at this time of year any particular job just takes longer: poor light, frozen fingers and hair-fine glass strands aren't a great mix.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
yummymummy88888
Topic Author

Thank you!!  

So it looks like the dig  isnt finished.  He did leave a coil of black cable for the next guy. I presumed that would be the installation guy but maybe not!

I got my hopes up too early. Thanks for your insight though. 

Yeah the coil of black plastic should be the fttp cable

so will just need the installation progressed of being carried out by open reach or if sky supplying the ont then another openreach engineer will be out to complete the external work before the installation is triggered

Depending on the area the did work is done by openreach engineers but if the don't have the training or insurance they can't complete the install

its a pain but at least there is movement 

with this sort of thing you will always know what is happening or happened before sky get told as the engineer has to tell his employers who then have to contact openreach controls to get the order updated

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion