Discussion topic: ONT missing?!

This message was authored by Mihaela3 This message was authored by: Mihaela3

ONT missing?!

Hiya, I've just moved into a new house and looks like there's already Sky fibre. However, last week I have received my router but I am not able to find the ONT nowhere. The only things that I have found, are the plugs into the wall for TV and phones (ADSL Plug), but nothing for Internet, like RJ45 plugs, or ONT. 

Do you know if I need an ONT, as per openreach txt, or do I have to buy an adapter/converter for that Phone line  ADSL to RJ45 (internet)? 

Thank you!

Best Answers
This message was authored by peter-marlow+1966 This message was authored by: peter-marlow+1966 Answer

Re: ONT missing?!

Do a Google search  for  broadband  on your  area, as maybe  who lived there  before  you  did to have the work completed,  there may have been a  problem, I don't know, no hole in the wall with fibre optic  cable  showing, no cable from the  grey box  outside  running  anywhere  into the house?

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mihaela3 

Do you know what is avaliable to the property currently? FTTP or FTTC? If its FTTC then there is no ONT or RJ45 plugs you simply connect the hub to telephone socket using an RJ11 cable and microfilter if required.

If you go to this site and use the 'address checker' then post the results back here we can advise further. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Mihaela3
Topic Author

@jamesn123 looks like is FTTP. 

This is the message: "Our records show the following FTTP network service
nformation for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit
Residential UG premises served by 2.5 Inch plastic duct 56.
ONT exists with active service. No spare ports areavailable. A new ONT may be ordered"

I don't know if I've done it right, as I don't have any info regarding DN/UPRN, or I don't know where to find this, I've checked with the address. 

This message was authored by peter-marlow+1966 This message was authored by: peter-marlow+1966

Do you  have  a grey  open reach customer service point box  outside  anywhere  on your  property with  fibre optic cable going in and coming out to a point in the house?

Mihaela3
Topic Author

Yes, outside. 

But inside I can find just the plugs for phone(adsl) and TV. Nothing else.

This message was authored by peter-marlow+1966 This message was authored by: peter-marlow+1966 Answer

Do a Google search  for  broadband  on your  area, as maybe  who lived there  before  you  did to have the work completed,  there may have been a  problem, I don't know, no hole in the wall with fibre optic  cable  showing, no cable from the  grey box  outside  running  anywhere  into the house?

Mihaela3
Topic Author

@peter-marlow+1966 you were right. I've followed the the cable from the box outside. I've found the ONT behind the washing machine which was fitted in the kitchen furniture. 

But doesn't have any cable to plug in for power. It's just the little white box, with no power. 

This message was authored by peter-marlow+1966 This message was authored by: peter-marlow+1966

They have taken  it with them by the sound of  it and I wonder why behind the washing machine in the kitchen? I am no expert  but I would  have thought  that  that may interfere  with the  wifi !!  I can only  go from  my own experience  with  full fibre  installation  but the open reach engineer  asked me where in the house I would like the o n t box located,  but I don't  know 

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@Mihaela3 With the ont, you will have one fibre cable connected, and sounds like someone has taken the mains psu unit for the ont, it sometimes happens, if your system is active, call sky and they will get one replaced for you.

Mihaela3
Topic Author

@peter-marlow+1966 a was not expecting to find it there.. but 🤷‍♀️. Anyway thank you for your help!! 🙏

@JimM1 I will call Sky to replace it. Thank you 🙏

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@peter-marlow+1966 wrote:

They have taken  it with them by the sound of  it and I wonder why behind the washing machine in the kitchen? I am no expert  but I would  have thought  that  that may interfere  with the  wifi !!  I can only  go from  my own experience  with  full fibre  installation  but the open reach engineer  asked me where in the house I would like the o n t box located,  but I don't  know 

The ONT does not produce a WiFi signal therefore nothing for the washing machine to interfere with. I would assume the ONT was installed behind the washing machine but then the router was placed in a better location via a longer than standard ethernet cable.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion