Discussion topic: New Sky BB install with Orbi Mesh wifi

Kent+Guy
Topic Author
This message was authored by Kent+Guy This message was authored by: Kent+Guy

Re: New Sky BB install with Orbi Mesh wifi

@Chrisee wrote:

@Kent+Guy dont change that Router mode setting as it disables the router's WAN port you are using to connect to the ONT. 

Oh! Thanks @Chrisee , back to plan A!

I find it pretty extraordinary that Sky don't do manuals with these things. I see there's a built-in help, but it literally says "turns on DSL-only for Router". Super-helpful.

Kent+Guy
Topic Author

Just thought I'd report back to say all is well in the Access Point config of the Orbi Router. Everything works as expected. The only thing to be aware of is you can't use the Orbi App to make the switch, you need to log in to the Orbi wifi when connected to the Sky router on a web browser. Once up and running, I disabled both wifi bands on the Sky router.

When I researched this, all I could find was insanely long and complex instructions that were impenetrable. I can report all that is totally unecessary for anyone who just needs their existing mesh wifi to work with a Sky router (and this thread lists the features you will lose, none of which mattered to me). Just switch the Orbi to Access Point, disable the Sky wifi and job done.

Thanks to @cookiemonsteruk and everyone else on the thread for guiding me through.

This message was authored by casod This message was authored by: casod

Has anyone noticed a speed drop when they switched orbi to AP. I was getting 900MB in speed tests prior to switch, now I switched the Orbi to AP mode, speedtest is coming up at 500 - 600MB?!?

Kent+Guy
Topic Author

@casod I'm only on a 500mbps package so can't be much help there. It works to that speed fine. 

This message was authored by casod This message was authored by: casod

I fixed it by removing the Sky router out of the equation, connected directly into the Orbi and get full speeds, no issues 🙂

This message was authored by Andymfox This message was authored by: Andymfox

Hi 

Did you need to configure anything on the Orbi, and what credentials did you use to log on?

Cheers

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Andymfox there are many possible combinations can you post whether you are in the UK or Ireland, whether the service will be over a copper or full fibre line and whether you need the Sky voice line or not. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Andymfox This message was authored by: Andymfox

UK - Sky Broadband Gigafast.

I got credentials using Wireshark which tured out to be the sky router mac address plus password.

Used them as the login credentials on the Orbi but don't seem to work, hence wondering if other config changes are needed.

Cheers

This message was authored by LesShand This message was authored by: LesShand

Hi, when you say "....connected directly into the Orbi....", connected what exactly? RJ11 from DSL line presently going into Sky router cannot be connected into ORBI 760 series, only an RJ45? Thanks.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion