Discussion topic: Needing new ethernet that goes through house

This message was authored by Dannywil325 This message was authored by: Dannywil325

Needing new ethernet that goes through house

Recently I just had a power outage and now my ethernet cable has died. Just in case I've checked everywhere for solutions with it but nothing works. I then plugged a new ethernet in and it works. Only problem is that the router is not in the same room and my current ethernet goes through the house. It was initially done when we got our sky router installed so I'm wondering if need to contact sky again to replace it or is there another way?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Needing new ethernet that goes through house

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dannywil325 Sky or Openreach are only responsible for cabelling to the master socket or ONT unit. Any cabelling bdyond that point is down to you not Sky so you would have to find and pay someone to replace it. Ethernet cabelling can break due to bending or wear but a power outage shouldn't have an affect check that it isnt the post on the hub that is faulty as I would think that was more likely. Sky will replace a dodgy hub. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Dannywil325
Topic Author
This message was authored by Dannywil325 This message was authored by: Dannywil325

Thank you for the response. Not sure about the post, but apparently ethernet troubles are common with power cuts according to other places. I tried it with another ethernet cable and it worked fine. Just in case I put the current cable into the hubs port I used to test the other one and still nothing. So will just have to contact someone to look at it. Thank you for letting me know.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Dannywil325 

I can't imagine any circumstances in which a power cut could affect an ethernet cable itself, and a power surge strong enough to do so would blow the network chipset in the devices at each end long before the plastic or copper melts.  I've only ever seen ethernet cable fail through external physical damage, including rodent teeth.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Dannywil325 

I agree with @TimmyBGood it would be extremely unlikely for an ethernet cable to be damaged by a power cut/surge without it blowing pretty much any device it was connected to as well. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion