Discussion topic: My new Sky booster makes no difference to the range of cover in my house

This message was authored by Hamis1 This message was authored by: Hamis1

My new Sky booster makes no difference to the range of cover in my house

I am paying for a Sky Booster/extender which makes no difference to the cover in my house which isn't big.  we have brilliant speed but it is no use in half of the house where i just see a circle whirling round when watching television. My kids can't use their ipads etc in the bedroom.  should I get the booster taken away? Please advise. 

All Replies

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

Re: My new Sky booster makes no difference to the range of cover in my house

@Hamis1 The sky booster should make a difference to the range of the wifi signal, unless it is not working or it is not positioned and recieving the signal from the router. Which sky booster do you have from the link.

Sky WiFi extenders | Sky Help | Sky.com

Hamis1
Topic Author

Hi it is a sky broadband booster and we have it placed between the Router and the bedroom. 

@Hamis1 Are all 3 led's lit and steady green, there are none flashing? On the rear off the booster is there 

an ethernet socket, older model has, newer model does not?

Are you an apple product user, or android user for mobile devices?

Can recommend analyser to check signal from booster and router if i know which one.

But led status is important

Hamis1
Topic Author

Hi 3 lights on with no flashing. No Ethernet socket and we use Apple phones and ipads at home. 

@Hamis1 I use netspot for android, but see that it is available for apple who knows.

It allows the user to see the wifi sid and mac of the router and the booster.

Does sound like your devices are latching onto the router, but when you move to the further location

they are staying with the router and not dropping and connecting to the booster.

If i was to look at the wireless bars 1st power of booster, take bar count next to router, say all 5 bars

move to furthest point, say 1 bar, leave device there, go switch on booster, takes about 3 mins to power up establish contact, all 3 led's are on, then check device to see how many bars.

Or use netspot, will show you strength of wifi in each area, takes about 1min to settle reading on device.

Let me know how you get on.

@Hamis1 Booster's do work, there just not that easy to find out what is going on or wrong.

This is not to say that the booster is not working correctly, or the devices are having a hard time connecting to the booster. But you will have the same style of hub, upright like the booster, but black in colour. Should be correct with the fact you have all the green lights.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Hamis1 boosters can work in some circumstances but they are not a great way to get wifi through out many homes. In essence a booster needs to be placed halfway between where you need the boost and the where the hub is. Make sure the hub and booster are out in the open and ideally above things like raiators that will block the signal. 

In homes succh as those with multiple floors you may need a better solution than a freebie booster. You can buy whole home wifi systems that form a mesh system. In my home I need such a system myself which replaces the Sky hub's wifi which is turned off cost me £100. Alternatively if your home has solid internal walls which block wifi signals you may want go look at powerline networking adapters which use the house's mains wiring to get the signal to distant rooms you can buy systems with built-in wifi access points which ipads etc can connect to.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion