Discussion topic: MAX HUB - SSID CHANGE FOR 2.4ghz

This message was authored by Hairy_Gav This message was authored by: Hairy_Gav

MAX HUB - SSID CHANGE FOR 2.4ghz

Hi Just upgraded my sky broadband to include sky glass.  Took delivery of the TV and hub today, TV appears great.  Changed the SSID on the new hub to the old name and password to make it easy and not have to change 20/30 devices for their connections.  However I have a couple of devices on 2.4GHZ and only operate on that frequency.  However the next MAX hub does not let you rename the 2.4, only rename both SSIDs which is not what I want.  The rename worked for most items but my SMART outdoor lights will not work as they only work on the 2.4GHZ, How can you rename the 2.4GHZ name?

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: MAX HUB - SSID CHANGE FOR 2.4ghz

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Hairy_Gav 

You'd need to split your WiFi bands on the max hub 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Hairy_Gav 

The procedure is to disable the 5Ghz wireless band, connect the devices that will only work on 2.4Ghz, and reenable the 5Ghz wireless band.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Hairy_Gav
Topic Author

Thanks have tried that, but the 2.4switch would not operate after doing that. Thanks though. I have now reverted to just broadcasting the 2.4 and disabled the 5. A few passwords later and back up and running on all. Frustrating though that I am not able to do so like the old sky router. Hopefully I won't need the 5 or later wifi enabled devices that I get only work on 5! 

Hairy_Gav
Topic Author

Thanks. That's what I was trying to do and it would not allow me to split like the old sky router which was 3yrs old. Reverted to just broadcasting the 2.4 just now....hope I don't need the 5 in future!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Hairy_Gav wrote:

. it would not allow me to split like the old sky router which was 3yrs old. 

The Max Hub is fundamentally different to previous Sky router hardware, and based on technology from Plume.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Hairy_Gav
Topic Author

Yeah see that. But shame that they don't tell you before hand. Loads will have these type of switches that control electrics in the house that can only work on 2.4. Other providers allow you to broadcast 2 frequencies with different SSIDs......just no Sky eh?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Hairy_Gav 

Typically the problem is that the initial setup of such things cannot procede when the IoT hardware is using 2.4Ghz only but the app controller host device is on 5Ghz.  Plume actually has a dedicated solution for that, which unfortunately isn't available in the My Sky app.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Hairy_Gav can you post details of the smart plugs which would not stay connected when you switched the 5GHz band back on as other users have reported their kit  still worked. 

Running the White Wifi Max hub with only the 2.4GHz band is like buying a fast car and never changing out of first gear. The hub offers fast wifi which requires both bands to give the high speeds you are paying for. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Hairy_Gav
Topic Author

Agreed re the 1st gear.... but with max download of 25mb I won't notice eh. It's electrical switches I have that controls outside lights. I checked with my spark ️ pal and he said these type don't come in 5ghz frequency. Hence turning the 5 off eh. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion