Discussion topic: Internet Dropping Randomly

This message was authored by HinaTheGoat This message was authored by: HinaTheGoat

Internet Dropping Randomly

I am not sure what is wrong with my hub, but at random intervals, the internet completly drops and the internet starts flashing amber. The voice does not turn on (goes blank). Than after a couple of minutes ( 1 to  5 minutes). Then, the internet becomes green and the voice becomes amber.  Sometimes, this process repeats a couple of times until evenutually, but light come back on to green. All other lights stay green. 

This has been happening for soo long and although sky engineers have came over, the problem is still an issue! The problem started last year in Feburary but sometimes doesnt happen for months. Last week, the issue started again and the internet drops at least twice a day. All wireless connections stop until both lights come back on.

And with ethernet, sometimes the connection drops for 10 seconds which kicks me out of a online session (doesnt do this with wireless). In addition, the wired connection also drops when the internet drops. Once, the internet dropped for a whole 20 minutes in which we called Sky to ask what was happening. They told us to reset the router but that doesn't do anything. 

Anyone experience this as well? And if so, got any tips?

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Internet Dropping Randomly

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @HinaTheGoat the dtats show that your hub is connected at 58Mb/s which looks to be somewhat slower than you should be getting but probably above the minimum for your line as the noise margin of 5.4dB is somewhat higher than it should be but not high enough to be counted as a fault. The line dropped under 1.5 hiours before you took the stats.

Assuming that the connection test did not offer to book an engineer I would.contact Sky and report the line drops and see whether they can get Openreach to check the line - mention the weather issue - this may take several calls to resolve and may need to get worse before action will be taken.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@HinaTheGoat run the connection test in the My Sky app which can book an engineer if it spots an issue.

If you are on a service over a copper line as opposed to fibre to your home the most likely cause is a line issue rather than a faulty hub. The automatic system used by Openreach to manage changes in line conditions by increasing the noise margin which drops the speed in steps until the line is stable. While speeds are above the minimum guarantee for your line they can be reluctant to investigate. 

If you post your hubs connection stats forum members can probably tell you more see Find your Sky Broadband router statistics

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
HinaTheGoat
Topic Author
This message was authored by HinaTheGoat This message was authored by: HinaTheGoat

Here is the statistics: 

Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 15.42.09.png

I think you are right in saying it is something with the cable. Often or not, when it is raining heavly, wifi goes out for a bit. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Hi @HinaTheGoat the dtats show that your hub is connected at 58Mb/s which looks to be somewhat slower than you should be getting but probably above the minimum for your line as the noise margin of 5.4dB is somewhat higher than it should be but not high enough to be counted as a fault. The line dropped under 1.5 hiours before you took the stats.

Assuming that the connection test did not offer to book an engineer I would.contact Sky and report the line drops and see whether they can get Openreach to check the line - mention the weather issue - this may take several calls to resolve and may need to get worse before action will be taken.

HinaTheGoat
Topic Author

The line dropped during the testing as well 😂

HinaTheGoat
Topic Author

Thank you for the help, I will make sure to contact them about it. 

This message was authored by Gerard--65 This message was authored by: Gerard--65

Openreach have apparently been out 3 times now and after numerous calls to sky. Still not sorted  and now sky say I can leave with no penalty???? Just want it right for the money I pay... is that unreasonable???

This message was authored by Gerard--65 This message was authored by: Gerard--65

Same problem as you... starting to get really annoyed with this and impossible to get compensation.  Why whe you have a problem and phone sky, why can't they phone back and talk through what they have done and help with you issues??? ITS NICE TO TALK????? SKY TAKE NOT.... IDIOTS 

This message was authored by MDL6 This message was authored by: MDL6

SInce December i have been suffering random disconections - i ahve complained to Sky and been told by the help desk as i am over 100mg then theres not much can do.  I received 145mg for 2 years prior to this with no probs - then in december it dropped to 120 then 115 now 105 so obviulsy something is wrong.  My final responce from the omplaint simply said i can leave if i want to. What kind of "support" is this!!??

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion