Discussion topic: Improving broadband range (with Sky Q in place)

This message was authored by MeganPlym99 This message was authored by: MeganPlym99

Improving broadband range (with Sky Q in place)

Hi,

First post here so bare with me!

We have just switched over from Virgin to Sky's Ultrafast Plus. The setup we had previously (with Virgin) was the router in modem mode and we used the Google Wifi Mesh system which worked really well and gave us good coverage across the house. 

The engineer installed everything today and I'm noticing that the coverage isn't great and the speeds aren't close to the 500mb as advertised. I've also tried setting up the Google Mesh system using the Sky router but again only seeing around 60-70mbps speeds. 

We're also switching to Sky Q in a couple days (with several mini boxes) which I understand works as it's own mesh network.  I'm not convinced this is will work well without extra help as the TVs are quite far apart + through thick walls. I've read on these forums that there can be a lot of issues with using 3rd party wifi systems alongside the Sky Q boxes. 

I'm hoping somebody could point me in the direction of the best way to ensure I get as close to the 500mb speeds across my house as I had hoped (whilst allowing the Sky Q boxes to work properly).

Thanks in advance!

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Improving broadband range (with Sky Q in place)

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MeganPlym99 

Over WiFi you are very unlikely to get over around 200mbps, especially if you are using a mesh system which sacrifices speed for stability & coverage. If you want to use the full 500mbps of your package you need to connect with an ethernet cable. 

The idea of the Ultrafast service is to provide UHD streaming speeds to many devices at once, not for one single device to get 500mbps on a speedtest. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@MeganPlym99 

I have a Q box and a couple of mini boxes and get between 180-350 Mbps around the house on the 5GHz band. I have a Wifi 6 access point connected to my Sky hub and can get between 360-480 Mbps using my mobile which is the only Wifi 6 device I have at the moment.

This is on Ultrafast Plus.

It's best to split the bands on the router and give them different names to identify them because by default the router steers everything on to the 2.4 GHz band which is probably why the low wifi speeds.

Hi there,

I appear to be experiencing the same issue. I have Ultrafast Plus but only receive speeds to my laptop (5m away) of around 160-200mbsp. The only other devices connected are my Sky Q box and mobile phone. How can I improve this and go about splitting the bandwiths if necessary?

Many thanks

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@WM19 wrote:

Hi there,

I appear to be experiencing the same issue. I have Ultrafast Plus but only receive speeds to my laptop (5m away) of around 160-200mbsp. The only other devices connected are my Sky Q box and mobile phone. How can I improve this and go about splitting the bandwiths if necessary?

Many thanks

@WM19 are you testing your laptop via ethernet connection with nothing else connected or are you testing via wifi 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion