Discussion topic: How do I change my wifi to 2.4 ghz?

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: How do I change my wifi to 2.4 ghz?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DanstanthemanMake sure when you do this it is done via hardwired connection and use another browser as the Sky router settings does not seem to like safari.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Danstantheman This message was authored by: Danstantheman

Thank you.... I need to find a laptop then 😂.... dammit!

This message was authored by NickiG89 This message was authored by: NickiG89

Hi there, I'm having the same issue but when I follow your instructions and go to press apply, it then tells me that I've lost my network connection? I'm so confused. Please help! 

This message was authored by Jillcsehicelebran This message was authored by: Jillcsehicelebran

I am in no way a computer expert, but I eventually managed to do this.  to log in to the router use admin as the user name and your router password to get in.  Then click on wifi, you have a 2.4 tab and a 5 ghz tab.  On 2.4 ghz tab untick the synchronise 2.4 & 5 GHZ, but also change the name on the tab, so you will have the name of your router in the box - change it - I just added the word printer to the end of mine to identify it.  Then click apply.  You have to do this through Google Chrome - not safari or just google.  Click apply and it may say it has failed but when I logged back in it had done it.  You need to remember though if you ever reset your router it will delete this change and you will need to do it again.  I hope this helps people. 

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

hi

i also need to split the 2.4 & 5ghz wii fir a smart switch

When i split the frequency is it easier to rename the 2.4ghz SSID rather than the 5ghz ssid?

Im assuming if i rename the 5ghz SSID ill have to reconnect all of the devices that are connected to the wifi? If i rename the 2.4ghz will all the exisiting connections remain connected?

Thanks in advance

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. Gibson les paul tribute. Gibson les paul junior. Fender telecaster. Epiphone billie joe .. rock on
This message was authored by Jillcsehicelebran This message was authored by: Jillcsehicelebran

I was struggling to connect my printer, everything else was OK, so I just added PRINT to the end of my router name on the 2.4 so that it was easy for me to identify.  But whatever is easier for you really

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jporch316 

Renaming an SSID results in any device previously connecting to it having to be taught the new name (and associated password): which one you choose to rename is up to you.  Devices connecting to the unchanged SSID shouldn't be affected.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by OzzysGirl This message was authored by: OzzysGirl

When I try all these steps it tells me the network connection was lost and won't complete the steps... help! 

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@OzzysGirlAre you trying to complete these actions on a device connected via Wi-Fi?

This message was authored by Mackone14 This message was authored by: Mackone14

@Highlinder hi

I am having the same issues the pages close with error and when I've gone back the edit of the said 5ghz name just goes back to the original. I have a printer that will only work on a 2.4ghz network. 

@Mackone14Are you trying to complete these actions on a Wi-Fi connected device?

Unfortunately yes as I don't have a PC or solid connection all my devices are wireless 😕 

Which kind of device and browser are you using to try and make these changes with?

I have an android phone and an ipad so I have used Samsung Internet, ipad safari and Google chrome as I read earlier in the feed that safari won't really work. But I'm still not having any joy 😔

@Mackone14Is it allowing you to split the Wi-Fi frequencies at all. Trying to do too much at the same time is going to cause problems. Take things one step at a time. Best to do it if you can with chrome and the andriod phone if you can.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion