Discussion topic: High Paket loss on online gaming with new Sky Q installed

This message was authored by Danny11515 This message was authored by: Danny11515

High Paket loss on online gaming with new Sky Q installed

Hi, We have recently had Sky Q recently installed into our home as an upgrade from our old Sky + HD boxes. Before Sky Q was installed our network ran fine with no packet loss on online games and everyone could use the broadband without a problem. Once the Sky Q boxes were instaled it seems that the network is all over the place and now cannot support online games and watch content. We have disabled the network from our smart TV's because we now use the Sky Q mini's around the house to watch our content instead and this works without any issues. The only issue is playing games online and doing work remotely by doing online meetings etc. I work 5 days a week on long hours so I only have weekends really to relax and enjoy my time away from the office but it seems that I have spent 2 whole weekends now trying to fix this issue so that the network can be fine again and would really appreciate if someone has gone through this before and has now managed to fix the problem. 

For anyones information that could help our house has 3 sky boosters that are spread around the house to provide signal around the house for the hardware to connect to the network. 4 Sky Mini's with Sky Q box to provide the connection to the sky mini's but they are not all used at the same time. Finally we would normally have 70+ Mbps internet connection which says it should be a good expeirence for gaming and watching or streaming content at the same time. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: High Paket loss on online gaming with new Sky Q installed

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Danny11515 with 4 minis, 3 boosters, a main Q box and a Sky hub you are exceeding the maximum number of nodes the Sky Q mesh can support which is around 8. I would dispense with at least 2 boosters as the q boxes act as wifi hot spots thst may stabilise your network.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@Danny11515 with 4 minis, 3 boosters, a main Q box and a Sky hub you are exceeding the maximum number of nodes the Sky Q mesh can support which is around 8. I would dispense with at least 2 boosters as the q boxes act as wifi hot spots thst may stabilise your network.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Danny11515
Topic Author
This message was authored by Danny11515 This message was authored by: Danny11515

Hi, 

Thanks for the quick reply. I mistyped and shoudv'e said 2 sky boosters not 3. I will try to disconnect the two sky boosters and see if this makes a difference in the connection and will update you on how I get on. 

Danny11515
Topic Author

Hi, 

Thank you for the help. I have made the changes to the network and this has definetly improved the connection. I was quite amazed that the sky q box and the sky mini's atually provided a connection to other devices around the house. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Danny11515 more wifi isnt akways better wifi and the Q mesh is pretty old tech now and has its limits..There are other ways of reinforcing yhe mesh if you find issues.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion