Discussion topic: Google Nest WiFi Pro with powerline adapter to Sky Q

This message was authored by RH1011 This message was authored by: RH1011

Google Nest WiFi Pro with powerline adapter to Sky Q

Hi,

I'm looking to put a mesh WiFi system in place behind my Sky Hub to get better WiFi within the home. I'm currently connecting my Sky Q and 2 mini boxes via powerline adapters as this is the only way I can have a stable TV experience.

I recently bought a 3 pack of Deco X50's for this but they were an absolute nightmare, kept throttling speed (wired and WiFi) as soon as a powerline adapter was connected (from 500/50 mbs to less than 100/5 mb) and despite all efforts to find a solution they just wouldn't work (in the end they just dropped the internet connection completely) so have now been returned.

I'm hoping there is a solution that will allow me to get better WiFi without throttling speed and allowing the use of the powerline adapters (Devolo 550+ duo) and was looking at the Google Nest WiFi Pro, does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm living in Ireland so we use PPPoE here and whatever system we get will need to be put in AP mode.

Is there any other alternatives?

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Google Nest WiFi Pro with powerline adapter to Sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RH1011 

Its possible your problem is actually being caused by the powerline adapters. It is well documented that when Sky Q is connected via ethernet it can severly limit the speed of your wired network to 100mbps or less.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
RH1011
Topic Author

@jamesn123 Thanks for the response.

There is no slowdown using the powerline adapters when they are connected to the Sky Hub (think it's the SR203) so not sure that they are the problem but anything is possible!

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RH1011 

Hmm possibly not then.

I personally don't have experience with Google WiFi Pro although I believe it does support PPPoE. 

If I had to recommend anything it would be the Asus XT pros as I know they support Sky.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by PaulN1980 This message was authored by: PaulN1980

TheGoogle Nest WiFi Pro works great.  I am in the UK but managed to get it working connected directly to the ONT so don't need to use the SKy Hub.  If you are in Ireland then it supports PPPoE so you should be able to plug it straight into that so won't need AP mode.

RH1011
Topic Author

Thanks and that's good to know.

I ultimately ended up going with the Eero Pro 6e which I have to say has been fantastic. I've literally just attached it to the Sky Hub via ethernet, turned off the Sky Hub WiFi and that's it. Speeds are very impressive and it has been solid throughout the home. No issues with using the powerline adapters to the Sky boxes either.

I did look into Sky Stream but Sky wanted to charge me €50 per puck and increase my monthly costs by just under €10 pm so I'll stick with the Sky Q and mini's for now.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion