Discussion topic: Getting Ultrafast 145Mb

This message was authored by Mini+Mo This message was authored by: Mini+Mo

Getting Ultrafast 145Mb

Just had a line fault, took two visits to sort problem, 2nd visit we had a geniune OR engineer ( brilliant chap) turn up,fixed the fault, he suggested contacting  Sky & requesting upgrading to Ultrafast 145Mb, as line would easily support the speed, & it was a simple job of moving from Port 11 to Port 13 GFast?

Easy I thought,have phoned Sky several times, butI am getting nowhere with them, despite being told my ISP will work with OR to organise any installation or repair work if it's needed, on my behalf.

Do I just admit defeat or is there a way to escalate the matter..

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Getting Ultrafast 145Mb

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mini+Mo 

It's currently unclear if Sky still resells G.fast: most ISPs stopped offering it last year (or before).  The technology is seen as a dead-end because of the inherently limited maximum speed over the copper portion of the circuit, and Openreach never restarted deployment into additional exchange areas after a 'temporary pause' back in 2020.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/10/the-misery-of-diminishing-choice-in-g-fast-uk-broadban... 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Mini+Mo
Topic Author

Annoyingly Sky still list Ultrafast 145mb & on offer.😠

https://www.sky.com/broadband

When I called Sky was told Ultrafast will use Full Fibre if it's available where you live or copper if no fibre.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mini+Mo 

Historically Sky offered Ultrafast 1 on both FTTP and G.fast: Ultrafast 2 and Gigafast is always FTTP, and Sky never chose to list the 300Mbs version of G.fast

Given its competitors have ceased selling G.fast, it's quite possible Sky now only actually has that speed band over an optical circuit for any new orders.

You may still be able to find a small ISP prepared to resell a G.fast service, but its availability is drawing to a close.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

At the moment sky still sell gfast, but it has never been a popular product and a lot of the lines were too long to support the minimum speed of 100Mbps but are listed as suitable until the engineer goes to activate it

Mini+Mo
Topic Author

@mormegilWhat annoys me is OR engineer did tests & said  line would easily support 145mb as line measured only around  510mtrs from cab.

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

If I remember correctly gfast needs to be less than 300m from the cab to get service

Mini+Mo
Topic Author

@mormegilI Engineer says 500mtrs, but I should get it, &  I know several friends who got it out to about 530mtrs.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion