Discussion topic: Failure of "Broadcast (UDP) on local network" message

This message was authored by Drew63 This message was authored by: Drew63

Failure of "Broadcast (UDP) on local network" message

I am trying to connect some Wiz lights to my network. But I consistently get a message informing me: "Broadcast (UDP) on local network." I have received similar messages when trying to set up prior smart devices, and suspect this is causing me a lot of problems.

Please let me know what adjustments, if any, I need to make to my router to resolve this problem.

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: Failure of "Broadcast (UDP) on local network" message

@Drew63 

Broadcast on UDP which port number would be useful but usually it's port 1900 which is a discovery protocol for equipment on the LAN. If it needs outside assistance then it may open up ports for external help from the service provider, eg: uPnP will need to be enabled for it to function which is the default on Sky Hub router equipment.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Drew63
Topic Author
This message was authored by Drew63 This message was authored by: Drew63

Thanks. I checked on the router configuration page, and uPNP is enabled. I'm still getting the UDP failure error message, and I find that the connection to the lights is unstable. ie. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. The Wiz help page suggests that the UDP broadcast failure was likely to cause unstable connections.

As I said earlier, I've noticed similar (if not identical) error messages when trying to connect other smart devices to my network. I do have a strong suspicion that there is an issue with the way the router and its handling of access to various ports. Unfortunately I'm beyond my level of technical knowledge as to how to address this. 

This message was authored by Dennis9 This message was authored by: Dennis9

I'm experiencing the same issue woth WiZ light. I have UPnP ports ticked in the advanced settings. Did you manage to resolve this?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion