Discussion topic: Deco Mesh connectivity issues

This message was authored by EAGOR This message was authored by: EAGOR

Deco Mesh connectivity issues

Hi,

I have recently got sky broadband, and have 40mb/s coming through to our line according to line tests. We have a sky router, and attached Sky q box. 

Because we live in a tall thin house we got Deco x60 mesh system. However, the speed on the Deco fluctuates wildly every few seconds, and barely gets above 1mb/s. It often averages around 30kb/s. 

We've had the sky engineer around a few times but they say nothing is wrong with the line.  I have tried a few things to adjust the deco. For example, turn off wifi on the sky router, have the deco in acces point, turned off beamforming and fast roaming. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the speed fluctuations and weirdly low speed?

Thanks!

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Deco Mesh connectivity issues

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@EAGOR I use a deco set up with a Sky hub myself. First thing I did was disable the Sky hub's wifi. I then configued my first Deco sub to operate in access point mode see https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1842/

The first unit is connected to the hub by ethernet I would then check the wifi strength near that unit - I find the free app Wifi Sweetspots works quite well. Remember the satellite units need a decent connection back to the first unit. I find one on each level of my home works although I had to place them carefully to maximise back haul speed - no mesh satellite can deliver fastercspeeds than its bskhaul. With a 40Mb/s service it should work unless your home has very ununusal construction. My 3 unit M4 set up delivers 400Mb/s in every room ample for my needs.

If you only have one Sky Q box thst should link to the Deco wifi just fine but if you have Q minis things grt more complex. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
EAGOR
Topic Author
This message was authored by EAGOR This message was authored by: EAGOR

Thanks @Chrisee, intersting. I have the same setup but I'll check the wifi sweet spot tool you mentioned. 

With everything setup the way you mentioned we're still getting barely 1mbs when we should be getting 40.

One weird thing is my main Deco that is plugged into the router is showing 0mps on the Deco app, is yours the same? I'm wondering if that is because it is wired in by Ethernet or if there is something wrong?

Thanks for the help so far.

@EAGOR not sure about what the Deco app shows as I am not at home currently to check but in the past I found the app unreliable. However direct performance is excellent. I have switched to using Sky Glass which streams UHD video and is highly sensitive to jitter and I get rock solid performance over wifi. The tests I run show any device can access the available external bandwidth - I am still on FTTC connection delivering 80Mb/s gross or around 72Mb/s net. 

The Wifi Sweetspots app claims to measure bandwidth to the router and I assume it is accurate. I did find the Deco units could not use my Powerline adapters for backhaul which I planned to do not sure why but given they link by wifi quitecwell I gave up investigating.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by SJJ144 This message was authored by: SJJ144

I am after some confirmation / suggestions re the following:

I have Sky Broadband,  sky q main box with 3 mini boxes.

Connectivity to the mini's can be very unreliable and frustrating, WiFi generally slows down once or twice a week

I decided to ditch the mini's and use apple TV instead (I have three).

To replace the Sky Mini wifi mesh functionality I am looking at TPLink Deco XE75 to future proof the WiFi, I live in a three story town house with 60+ smart devices (bulbs, radiators etc etc)

So .. 

after reading this thread and others, I will try the following:

1. Run the Deco's in AP mode

2. Connect one Deco to the Sky Hub

3. Connect the main Sky Q box to one of the Deco's

4. I assume the SSID remains the same and will not have to reconfigur the main Sky Q box

5. Power off the Sky Mini boxes

6. Connect the Apple devices in 2nd and 3rd rooms

Suggestions?

Thanks

Simon

HI @SJJ144 see below

@SJJ144 wrote:

I am after some confirmation / suggestions re the following:

I have Sky Broadband,  sky q main box with 3 mini boxes.

Connectivity to the mini's can be very unreliable and frustrating, WiFi generally slows down once or twice a week

I decided to ditch the mini's and use apple TV instead (I have three).

To replace the Sky Mini wifi mesh functionality I am looking at TPLink Deco XE75 to future proof the WiFi, I live in a three story town house with 60+ smart devices (bulbs, radiators etc etc)

So .. 

after reading this thread and others, I will try the following:

1. Run the Deco's in AP mode Yes

2. Connect one Deco to the Sky Hub Yes

3. Connect the main Sky Q box to one of the Deco's Ideally use ethernet but you can connect to the Deco wifi

4. I assume the SSID remains the same and will not have to reconfigur the main Sky Q box Only if you set up the Deco to use the Sky SSID otherwise they will use their default SSID

5. Power off the Sky Mini boxes Yes

6. Connect the Apple devices in 2nd and 3rd rooms Yes

You have missed one step which is disable the Sky Hub's wifi and also turn off the 5GHz wifi band on the main Q box via its engineering menu accessed by going to Settings,0,0,1 then select

Suggestions?

Thanks

Simon

This message was authored by SJJ144 This message was authored by: SJJ144

Hi @Chrisee 

thanks for the feedback, 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion