Discussion topic: Change my IP Address

This message was authored by Hackylad This message was authored by: Hackylad

Change my IP Address

Hi

I recently tried to buy tickets on a well known ticketing website.  In the process me and my son had a laptop each and we were manually refreshing on both devices. We did actually get the tickets as a friend managed to get them.

However in the process we could no longer access the site and thought it was down to the volume of people trying to access it.  After doing some digging it seems the IP address has been blocked as all aother sites work fine and the site in question can be accessed via a VPN.  So they must have thought we were a bot.

I thought it may be temporary so have given it several days now and the ban is not lifted.  I've looked into IP addresses and it seems SKY use dynamic IP addresses.  So my questions are if my IP address changes should access to the site be restored based on the fact via a VPN allows access.

I've tried to force an update of my IP address  by turning off the router a couple of times now for a couple of hours at a time.

When this happens the IPv6 has changed. But the IPv4 has stayed the same.

Is the IPv4 the issues and is there any more steps I can take to update the IPv4?

Any advice from those with any knowledge is appreciated.

Best Answers
This message was authored by -rpnz- This message was authored by: -rpnz- Answer

Re: Change my IP Address

Posted by a Sky employee

If you have a Sky Hub 4 or lower, there's a "Disconnect" button in the WAN status section of the web interface. This sends a DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 Release message that tells the DHCP server to throw away your old lease,  when you reconnect, you should get a different IPv4 address and IPv6 prefix.

The Sky Wifi Max router does not have this function.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Hackylad 

Even though Sky's public IP addresses are dynamic with full-fibre they are very sticky, so to obtain a new public IP address it is best to leave the router off overnight.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Hackylad
Topic Author

Thanks, I'll try it overnight and see how it gets on.

On a side note once the IP Address changes what would the chances be, of getting that same IP back at some point in the future?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Hackylad given Sky have over 6 million broadband accounts the odds are pretty low you would get the same address back and most bans are temporary.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Hackylad
Topic Author

Thanks wasn't sure whether they were all shared amongst all users on the service or whether each user was assigned so many different IP's and they rotate and can come back again.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Hackylad Sky never tell us but given there are regional connections it could be a pool of addresses for each one of those but we are still talking 10s if not 100s of thousands.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Hackylad
Topic Author

Thank you

This message was authored by -rpnz- This message was authored by: -rpnz- Answer

Posted by a Sky employee

If you have a Sky Hub 4 or lower, there's a "Disconnect" button in the WAN status section of the web interface. This sends a DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 Release message that tells the DHCP server to throw away your old lease,  when you reconnect, you should get a different IPv4 address and IPv6 prefix.

The Sky Wifi Max router does not have this function.

Hackylad
Topic Author

Thanks for this the disconnect option in the Hub pages has worked for me and access restored to the blocked sites with a new IP.

I tried the overnight thing but due to a busy household 5 and a half hours with the internet switched off was the maximum we could manage during the week which kept renewing the same IP's that were blocked.

This message was authored by Deivydas This message was authored by: Deivydas

What is the solution for sky wifi max router users? I have tried switching the router off and then switching it back on the next morning, but it didn't resolve the issue.

This message was authored by eStorm This message was authored by: eStorm

I had a similar problem and this solution works great.

Thanks.

If anyone has trouble finding the button, the full path is:

Maintenance --> Router Status --> Connection Status --> Disconnect (button)

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion