Discussion topic: Broadband not connecting when heavy rain

This message was authored by Frankie1973 This message was authored by: Frankie1973

Broadband not connecting when heavy rain

Hi. I have found ongoing issues over the last few months withg my Sky broadband which constantly is not connecting. Maybe this has nothing to do with the weather but I have noticed that when we are experiencing significant rainfall that the problem occurs often. It rectifies itself after several hours but has become a recurring issue and major inconvenience when trying to work from home and kids trying to do homework. Anyone any similar experiences? Everyone else in the area is with other broadband providers without issue and I am looking to change once my contract runs out given the persistent problems.

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Broadband not connecting when heavy rain

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Frankie1973 

To me that sounds like you have water ingress somewhere along the line, this can cause major issues for a copper VDSL connection.

Have you tried running the line test in the My Sky app when its raining and playing up?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Frankie1973
Topic Author
This message was authored by Frankie1973 This message was authored by: Frankie1973

Hi James - yes I've run the app and sometimes it reports as an internal issue and others external. Fear is if I call an engineer out and its internal I am liable for full call out charges. We have had the same issue for a few years and engineers have come out and simply said the issue is now fixed and theres no issues for another few months. Definitely getting tedious and will maybe arrange again for an engineer visit. Would the VDSL connection be deemed external to my responsibility at all? Thankyou for your reply

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Hi @Frankie1973 

You would not be liable for call out charges providing the cabling within your home is not damaged. As long as you can visually see that your cabling isnt damaged you'll be fine. 

Best thing to do is to try and target an engineer appt when its forcast to rain 😁. When the engineer arrvies explain that whenever it rains your line disconnects, hopefully they will investigate for water ingress on the crimps.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Pretty common issue this year  @Frankie1973. for some reason. Copper phone lines carrying high frequency carrier signalls dont mix well with water. Openreach are increasingly unwilling to sort intermittent issues like yours as they plan the switch to full fibre. You can ask Sky to get them out but dont expect miracles.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion