Discussion topic: Any Virgin Media defectors here?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Any Virgin Media defectors here?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Khayes Virgin are running fibre to customers homes in some areas rather than coax..

I know this as the crew installing ducting for Openreach fibre exposed and broke a neighbour's Virgin feed which was casually buried a few inches below the surface.. Virgin sent a contractor to mend the break. In terms of reliability think I prefer my fibre connection to run through ducting buried a good 40 cms below ground rather than unprotected lines a few cms below the surface..

The picture shows the spliced virgin fibre running to my neighbour's connection point with the other lines running literally just under the block paving road to points serving my home and my other neighbours. The foreman running the Openreach job tells me this happens all the time due to the very shallow Virgin runs. The gray pipe is the Openreach duct for a new roadside point for the one property. 

28683F47-8A32-4307-8D6B-22AB43420726.jpeg

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by LongstockPip This message was authored by: LongstockPip

Well for one their customer service is a bit shocking (I know that this is a familiar story with other providers too), however they just don't have enough capacity in my area now. I was on 100 and had reasonable service but with both of us wfh we decided upgraded to 200, but never got anywhere near that speed, in fact after upgrading I was getting a worse speed than when I was on 100. am ofcom case was raised in the end and it came out in my favour so got refunds etc. 

Then when they started partnering with O2 and launched Volt I was "upgraded" for free to 200 and again just didn't get the speed. The latest price rise was for me the last straw so when BT installed fibre in the street I kept an eye on prices and it turns out I get better speeds for less money (the fibre in our area has been installed to the telecom poles so no digging up needed). It was a no brainer. 
I appreciate that come the end of this few I may end up over paying but with a Virgin line and BT line installed now I have options. 

This message was authored by Khayes This message was authored by: Khayes

Virgin rely on contractors and one of the is Kelly group.

I have had to have a cable repull, and was borrowing my neighbours connection at the roadside (he was ex VM 10 yrs ago)

Kelly ran the RG11 cable under a wall and dug up my grass and put the excess cable behind a bush ready for me to tidy up.

I left a note for them under the street cover, which they followed, but I really didnt want them digging up the grass, they could have gone round under the flower beds, but its done. 

And yes they dont bury it very deep, maybe 15cm below ground.

If I ever have to scarify the grass, I am going to have to be super careful. The scarifier would rip the cable to shreds. 

I have to say their wifi router the hub 5 with wifi 6 beats skys hands down.

This message was authored by _bob_ This message was authored by: _bob_

I put a spade through the cable once, it was so shallow.  I don't know how I missed my neibours. They came out really quickly and fixed it by splicing it together.  I dug down under it and made it deeper.  Your photo reminded me off that.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion