Discussion topic: Activation date has been delayed for weeks

This message was authored by Kkkvvv This message was authored by: Kkkvvv

Activation date has been delayed for weeks

Hi,

My original scheduled date for my broadband was agreed to be 3rd May but for some reasons it has been pushed to 28th May. This would mean we will lost access to internet for week, which is unexpected as I need internet to work from home.

I tried calling the Sky that directed me to a robot to change the activation date, but then got rejected due to availability of openreach.

However, openreach just came today and installed the cables and they claimed that they have done what is needed from their side, what is left is for engineers from Sky to activate the cables.

Can you help with this please? 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Activation date has been delayed for weeks

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kkkvvv wrote:

However, openreach just came today and installed the cables and they claimed that they have done what is needed from their side, what is left is for engineers from Sky to activate the cables.

Is the cable now present all the way inside the property to an Openreach ONT ('fibre modem' with LEDs)  or just to an external unpowered plastic box?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Kkkvvv
Topic Author

The Openreach engineers claimed that they put the fibre cables under the ground and have done their parts.

please see photo attached

02E0CDCD-4FED-4A6A-A2E3-10F95EFD1C11.png

C79BEB98-D5A3-44D2-AAE7-25884CF1B837.png

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Kkkvvv 

The Openreach operation doesn't end until at least the CSP (Customer Service Point - Openreach plastic box on an external wall of the building itself)

Sky, like all other Openreach-based ISPs, never carries out external trenching or duct work, and aren't permitted to do so by Openreach.

A small percentage of Sky 'broadband engineers' are qualified to carry out fusion splicing at the CSP itself and to bring an optical pigtail inside the property, but the majority of those jobs are also carried out by Openreach.

Kkkvvv
Topic Author

Thanks for your answer.

are you saying that the CSP needs to be done by openreach too?

Is there anything I can do or you can do to accelerate the process? I have already told my current broadband provider to disconnect in May since the expected activation date was agreed to be 3rd May. 
Thanks again for helping.

@Kkkvvv 

Bringing the four-core optical drop cable from the local CBT as far as the CSP (and mounting the CSP itself) is definitely an Openreach job, yes, but often won't be carried out by the duct digging crew.

Kkkvvv
Topic Author

Can we get the openreach team to get it done earlier as the digging bit is done?

Otherwise would you be able to provide some sort of temporary Wi-Fi or compensation to extend my current broadband for the time between our agreed date 3rd May till the actual activation date?

Thanks

@Kkkvvv 

Please note I don't work for Sky.

Sky doesn't offer temporary cellular WiFi.

In the event of delayed activation there's an Ofcom-overseen compensation scheme: the relevant rate is £6.10 per day and the ISP pays this as a lump-sum account credit once the service is live.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat... 

It's quite possible that an Openreach fibre team could turn up at any time now the duct is in place, and they won't necessarily give any notice.

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@Kkkvvv Is your old ISP part of the one touch swap, or did you have to call them to cancel your contract.

If moving to SKY and they are part of the one touch, they should let your old ISP know of the delay so nothing happens. If you are not sure then call sky CS and see what they have to say. If you are with say virgin media, you should be able to call them and extend the delay of disconnection of the service.

It's always a gamble, and best to leave both services until new is up and running then disconnect., 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion