Discussion topic: 3rd party router with sky Fibre ont box Ireland

This message was authored by Daithi+S This message was authored by: Daithi+S

Re: 3rd party router with sky Fibre ont box Ireland

@cookiemonsteruk 
@mae-3 

Thanks for the quick reply.

• With regards to the QoS drop-down settings - There were the options for None, 1, 2 or 3
    • It was blank and I selected None- No effect. 

• I enabled DHCPv6 under the IPv6 Connection at the bottom
    • This required a Prefect Deletion Size which the default was 48 - No Effect
  • I tried enabling the UPnP setting,
    • This made me then select which Networks (I have VLANs set up for IoT and Guests as well as the Main network)
    • I enabled it on the Main network clicked save and then I couldn't access the Network configuration. either directly or through the Unifi App. 
    • I could access the main Console settings and restart the router though. 
    • After a restart, it was working again though
    • Unfortunately, still no improvements to the speed.
This message was authored by Rich91 This message was authored by: Rich91

Hi folks, 

Sorry if this has been answered, but I could not see anything related to my own router. I have a Netgear XR1000, have sky hub. I have tried some of the settings people are talking about but not getting anywhere, I must be doing something wrong. Am I required to have my Netgear router connected to Sky hub or can it be connected directly to wall socket? Any help or information would be really appreciated. Thanks. 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rich91 wrote:

Hi folks, 

Sorry if this has been answered, but I could not see anything related to my own router. I have a Netgear XR1000, have sky hub. I have tried some of the settings people are talking about but not getting anywhere, I must be doing something wrong. Am I required to have my Netgear router connected to Sky hub or can it be connected directly to wall socket? Any help or information would be really appreciated. Thanks. 

@Rich91 

If you have superfast fttc you will need a seperate modem bridge such as the tp link td w9970 

If you have fttp ultrafast you should be able to connect it directly to the ont below

nokia_ONT_fttp_openreach.jpg

The xr1000 with DumaOs 3.0 should have dhcp option 61 built in

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

@cookiemonsteruk Thanks for reply. I have fttp . These are units on wall. I did try and connect the XR1000 directly to it, but I couldn't get it working.  Do you know is just this DHCP setting I need to change? Am I required to use the generic login on the XR1000? thanks again.

PXL_20230304_152038925.jpg

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Rich91 

The netgear needs to be at least version 

XR1000 Firmware Version 1.0.0.58

And the dhcp option 61 (client identifier) for the uk is :-

anything@skydsl|anything

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

Sorry I should have specified, I am in Ireland. Do you know if this is much different from UK? I have the latest firmware on XR1000, but cannot see the DHCP option you're referring to. Apologies, I am quite dim when it comes to this sort of stuff. Thanks again.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@Rich91 

Ah. Then the connection type is PPPoE

And 

Username is  anything@skydsl

Password is  anything 

And you'll need to find a vlan id tab and set it to 10

@cookiemonsterukAll working now. You are a great man. Thank you for help. 

Screenshot_20230304-160349.png

@Rich91 

As we say up here sucking diesel 😁 hope forum filters will let that thru.

@Rich91 

I marked my own post as answer. As there are seldom marked answers for ROI credentials

This message was authored by Irishguy78 This message was authored by: Irishguy78

Hey guys firstly first time on this! I recently got sky fibre 1Gigabt Broadband  in Ireland had virgin 500 mb and in fairness worked a treat with my Tp link decos that I had throughout my house! Sky have given me the sr203 modem and like many others I want to use my own system I've read and seen to use pppoe but when others have changed to their own router do you get close to the 1 Gigabit because I'm getting 500 mb sometimes other times I get 2/300mb and I haven't changed to it yet and I'm still using my virgin broadband that hasn't cancelled yet! I'm thinking of cancelling the sky because we both work from home a few times a week and the kids have everything going like ps5 smart TVs etc but if I can use my own router (the decos) I've seen Amazon sell a VDSL Tp link deco router which means I can continue to use my deco throughout my three story house then I'll be ok with it if it gives me close or above the 500mb even though its 1 Gigabit BB

thanks in advance. Brian. 

This message was authored by cheesers This message was authored by: cheesers

Hey there!

Recently got sky myself.

I've been using my Asus RT-AC68U router for years that I've been happy with on Vodafone, virgin etc, but cannot seem to connect to sky with it.

It's connected via WAN to the sky ONT (Fttp), with anything@skydsl in the username and anything as the password. I've set the VID to 10 under lan too. I am based in ROI. Any clues as to why I'm still not getting a successful WAN connection? I got the SR203 router from sky. 

This message was authored by cheesers This message was authored by: cheesers

I dug deeper into the logs and it appears it is timing out waiting for LCP configuration. I'm afraid this is beyond what I understand, but I haven't been able to make it use PPPoE at all, so I've settled for plugging into the ethernet of the SR203 for now. Would be really nice to be able to get rid of it though! 

@cookiemonsteruk is your man! He talked me through the process. I'm sure if you skim back a few pages you will find his instructions. Finding the PPoE is key to getting it going though. 

@cookiemonsteruk is your man. He helped through getting it set up. I'm sure if you skim back through a few pages you will find his instructions. PPoE is key to getting it sorted though. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion