Discussion topic: sky news on freesat

This message was authored by Piestar This message was authored by: Piestar

sky news on freesat

Over the past few days, I've had very odd issues with Sky News reception on Freesat.

First of all it disappeared from my channel list; then I found it again, but the HD version announced it was now coded. Fortunately the SD version did work. Today, I managed all of 5 seconds of Sky News before it suddenly disappeared from my screen to be replaced by a completely different Sky channel which then announced it was coded.

What is going on?

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: sky news on freesat

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Piestar  If it/s an issue with non Sky provided equipment then you need to be posting in an AV forum or freesat specific forum.

Sky News in HD is encrypted so you won't  get that on your freesat receiver.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Piestar
Topic Author

Thanks for the info. If I had got anywhere with any other forum I wouldn't have tried here. 

If Sky has decided to retire it's SD News channel, then this might explain things. It does seem rather bizarre that I can get Sky News HD on Freeview but not on Freesat.

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

@Piestar 

If you're desperate to see Sky News then it's always available live on YouTube in 1080P HD.

You can also watch it free via the NOW app on any streaming device in 720P, without need for any subscription.  

There's also the Sky News app itself which gives 1080P for free. The app is available for various streaming devices. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Piestar 

I think I'd observe that Sky isn't a designated public service broadcaster and so isn't obliged to offer such a service on Freesat (or Freeview)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Piestar
Topic Author

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure why you think I'm desperate.

Streaming via apps is about as interesting to me as spending my day staring at a slice of bread.

Piestar
Topic Author

I think I'd observe that this isn't even remotely helpful.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

I doubt you're missing much especially as you don't seem to want to use a perfectly good solution that gives you acess to the content

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent - ASD )
Piestar
Topic Author

Well that about finishes me off. I post a perfectly innocent query about a real issue I have, and all you peeps want to do is show how terribly important you all are. Have a nice day.

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

@Piestar wrote:

Well that about finishes me off. I post a perfectly innocent query about a real issue I have, and all you peeps want to do is show how terribly important you all are. Have a nice day.

Apologies for trying to be helpful. Have a wonderful day too! 🙄

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

@Piestar what sort of box are you using to access Sky News FTA?

Sky News continues to be available FTA😉

Licensed Freesat boxes should cope with any broadcast frequency changes, while FTA boxes will likely need rescanning🤔

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by Richardr1 This message was authored by: Richardr1

My TV is Freesat, and continues to have Sky News, so proper Freesat TVs and boxes will have updated in the standard way. Freesat (like Freeview) has only carried the SD version of Sky News.

If you haven't got Freesat itself, then the TV shows the transponder as 11934 V, so you will need to tune in to that frequency. It has changed this week [there is also a separate Irish version of Sky News - it is the same content but with Irish ads and of course the HD versions that are encrypted].

Sky Q 2TB box and one Minibox

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion