Discussion topic: What is the point of having Peacock in the UK?

This message was authored by Rach6 This message was authored by: Rach6

What is the point of having Peacock in the UK?

peacock in the uk has very limited content which is extremely frustrating. Can Sky please explain why they have reduced the content so significantly in comparison to when it was first launched in the uk?

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: What is the point of having Peacock in the UK?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Sky won't comment here. It's essentially a customer Community. You could try the Viewer Relations team. You can email them at viewerr@sky.uk 

This message was authored by Plektrum This message was authored by: Plektrum

Most likely launched as a way of scaling the brand outside the US but given it was a very different product in the Sky territories (a content destination and VOD channel in all but name) as opposed to a standalone service it likely didn't really serve a purpose at the end of the day - and I guess it doesn't help that the content offering of the U.K. never really matched what the US ended up getting (especially for film and sport) so I presume it was easier to just back away from the endeavour and just rely on existing products in the European markets. 

—————————————————————————————————————————————————
Still in search of a great signature! I’ll get there one day!
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Rach6 

As I've speculated elsewhere, because Peacock is NBCUniversal and NBCU is a bigger and much longer entrenched division of Comcast than Sky Group, I suspect there's a degree of corporate power-play involved which leaves the European service still hanging around but with embarrassingly little content.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Plektrum This message was authored by: Plektrum

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Rach6 

As I've speculated elsewhere, because Peacock is NBCUniversal and NBCU is a bigger and much longer entrenched division of Comcast than Sky Group, I suspect there's a degree of corporate power-play involved which leaves the European service still hanging around but with embarrassingly little content.

I don't know if there's a power play as such (though you never know!) but Comcast have been rather happy to keep leaning on that Sky brand in Europe (Skyshowtime, Sky Studios Elstree etc) - but it wouldn't really surprise me that launching Peacock outside of the US may have been more of a scheme to appease Wall Street and the demand for subscriber growth.

And now given that subscriber growth isn't really the metric that Wall St now care about, there's less need to scale the brand... hence them taking a different tack now rather than obsessively trying to grow Peacock (Investing in Showmax in South Africa, scaling their free service Xumo into a larger platform business, going in as an arms dealer in ANZ...).

Peacock makes perfect sense as a domestic brand linked to the traditions of NBC - better to let Sky to keep its identity as a distinctly European business instead of trying to force Peacock into being a thing. 

—————————————————————————————————————————————————
Still in search of a great signature! I’ll get there one day!
This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

I guess the cut down in peacock content is due to lack of people using it because the sky didn't publicise content available.

Like one of the shows I liked, I only found out about it when I saw an interview with an actor from it.

My own view on the original plan was to retain subscribers. With sky max, sky comedy, sky witness, these channels are on other services as well as sky. Peacock content (as with sky atlantic) was exclusive to sky and now subscribers so they probably hoped that subscribers would either stay or join due to this sky exclusive content.

But then did not support or publicise the content when added, leaving people to try to find it out themselves

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@Plektrum wrote:

Most likely launched as a way of scaling the brand outside the US but given it was a very different product in the Sky territories (a content destination and VOD channel in all but name) as opposed to a standalone service it likely didn't really serve a purpose at the end of the day - and I guess it doesn't help that the content offering of the U.K. never really matched what the US ended up getting (especially for film and sport) so I presume it was easier to just back away from the endeavour and just rely on existing products in the European markets. 

To add to @Plektrum's comment;

Also, I would suspect they can't just remove Peacock as they're contractually obligated to have it available. I would expect when the contract is up, Peacock will disappear.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, I would suspect they can't just remove Peacock as they're contractually obligated to have it available. I would expect when the contract is up, Peacock will disappear.

That's why I mentioned corporate infighting though: when both divisions are part of the same parent company it's more than a contractual obligation: it's also about who has greater power in the boardroom and the ear of the boss.

This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

While it still technically exists, Will continue to see articles like this

https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/film-and-tv/oppenheimer-when-is-oppenheimer-streaming-dvd-...

@Timelord2018 

Typical nonsense space-filler online article.  I'd think that the chance of Oppenheimer appearing on Peacock before Sky Store and then Sky Cinema is so small it would require a quantum physicist to calculate...

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@Rach6 @I have to agree. Peacock needs plucking and put to rest 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by redsky88 This message was authored by: redsky88

It would be better for Sky to just remove it, all it does is confuse many of it's customers. It serves absolutely no point. 

This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

@redsky88 wrote:

It would be better for Sky to just remove it, all it does is confuse many of it's customers. It serves absolutely no point. 

That's what I think aswell 

All remaining content will be removed by 9th January.

This message was authored by Derek_Trotter This message was authored by: Derek_Trotter

@Timelord2018 wrote:

All remaining content will be removed by 9th January.

Finally. I bet Sky don't bother to tell customers either. It'll just be quickly and quietly dispatched like a battery hen.

Peacock works much better in the USA as a full streaming service. I watched a lot of great stuff on there when I was working in the States earlier in the year. Great series like Twisted Metal, Based On A True Story and Mrs Davis, none of which seem to have made it to Sky yet. It had a really nice mix of movies and sports too.

Sky should never have branded it as Peacock over here in the first place. They should just have bought the rights to the programmes and rebadged them as Sky Originals or put then on Sky Witness or Sky Atlantic.   

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion