Discussion topic: Tennis on sky in 24

This message was authored by jujuge This message was authored by: jujuge

Re: Streaming tennis…..red button not working

@Oddie2004 

Same here. Diamond user, Sky+ HD box.

...or was. As I indicated I would do earlier in this thread, I have cancelled Sky television and am now in my notice period. The lack of interactive red button content re the tennis means I have done this earlier than I expected to.

I watch SS on Virgin Media too, so the change is not too painful for me and certainly better moneywise, and Sky still get some money from me 

I expect to fill the gaps re lack of functionality, ie. loss of Sky Go, with occasional months using Now TV.

Would have preferred to keep the status quo, even though it was quite a bit more expensive, as I could then watch the sports via satellite on the rare occasions that Virgin Media goes down. Back up plan is now 4g on the phone!

Sky is likely to cease broadcasting by satellite in the next few years anyway, I believe.

Did look at other options Sky offer, but as only wanted Sky Sports the above is the way go for me.

If I didn't have Sky Sports on VM, the newer Sky options (with better interactive content than my old box) appear to be, currently, cheaper monthly than the Sky+ HD box that I have just cancelled, and I would have gone for one of them.

This message was authored by Graeme100 This message was authored by: Graeme100

Re: Tennis on sky in 24

@oj01

Thank you so much for that helpful reply. We do indeed have the full sports channel. I  now understand that the match was on 401 Main Event and continued on 407 although at the time I could not find it! Should I have found it on the home page for 407 or is it via the red button which did not seem to be there!

Should the red button be available all the time??

What happens if we had been recording the match would the recording automatically transfer from 401 to 407?

Most importantly does Sky not advise you what is happening and that you can transfer to 407 to continue watching?

Sorry for all the questions but we are really disappointed with the coverage so far. Amazon Prime did a much better job and we never had problems like this! I think we are still in the position to cancel our new subscription. 

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Graeme100 wrote:

Should I have found it on the home page for 407 or is it via the red button which did not seem to be there!

you would have been able to find it from the tv guide or by typing in 407 on your remote (the red button is only available when on 407)

No - only when there are multiple games on at the same time 

What happens if we had been recording the match would the recording automatically transfer from 401 to 407?

you would have missed the rest of the match unless you had set a separate recording for 407 from 5pm - recording's don't automatically switch over

Most importantly does Sky not advise you what is happening and that you can transfer to 407 to continue watching?

there would have (or should have) been a banner at the bottom of the screen for a brief while shortly before the switch saying coverage continues on sky sports tennis (this is the only notice Sky would have provided)

@Graeme100 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Graeme100 wrote:

@oj01

Thank you so much for that helpful reply. We do indeed have the full sports channel. I  now understand that the match was on 401 Main Event and continued on 407 although at the time I could not find it! Should I have found it on the home page for 407 or is it via the red button which did not seem to be there!

Sorry for all the questions but we are really disappointed with the coverage so far. Amazon Prime did a much better job and we never had problems like this! I think we are still in the position to cancel our new subscription. 

@Graeme100 

It's not that the match switched from 401 to 407. It was on 407 from start to finish and whilst it started simultaneously on 401, it switched Sports at the advertised time. 

You need to stop watching Ch 401 and only watch tennis on Ch 407. Sky Sports Main Event (401) is always likely to switch Sports, as it's purpose is to show, what Sky consider to be, the main sporting event being shown live at the time. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

@oj01

Thank you that explains it all well! Thank you for your help!

@SKY1992bf

Spot on!

Thanks for fully answering each of my  questions individually.

It all makes better sense to me now! 
I shall certainly be aware of the situation on 401 from now on.
Thanks again!

Graeme 

This message was authored by Oddie2004 This message was authored by: Oddie2004

Just to reiterate Red Button is not available on 407 for +hd customers and probably never will be.

This message was authored by tragopan This message was authored by: tragopan

I watch  the Sky Tennis on a laptop - Macbook Pro as when I signed up, (also Diamond Vip 24 yrs) I was assured that I would get the same coverage - does anyone know if this is correct, please.  Laptop was never a problem with Amazon.  Tonight there is the Rio Final on Sky Go and 4 highlights on the Sky Sports  Website,  which doesn't seem a great choice to me. 

Also, every time I  go on to the Sky Sports website I am told that I need to logout and then re login.   That is rather a carryon if I am also watching the news, writing an email etc and just want to have a quick check on the tennis.

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@tragopan wrote:

I watch  the Sky Tennis on a laptop - Macbook Pro as when I signed up, (also Diamond Vip 24 yrs) I was assured that I would get the same coverage - does anyone know if this is correct, please.  Laptop was never a problem with Amazon.  Tonight there is the Rio Final on Sky Go and 4 highlights on the Sky Sports  Website,  which doesn't seem a great choice to me. 

Also, every time I  go on to the Sky Sports website I am told that I need to logout and then re login.   That is rather a carryon if I am also watching the news, writing an email etc and just want to have a quick check on the tennis.

@tragopan  red button coverage is only available via the sky sports app for tablets/phones excluding laptops 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by tragopan This message was authored by: tragopan

Thanks for your reply - Sorry - don't know what Red Button coverage means.  I do have the Sky App on my phone  - will I get more choice there - not ideal as screen rather small!?

This message was authored by PhilHampson-Sky This message was authored by: PhilHampson-Sky

A new tennis week and a taste of what is to come at Indian Wells next week.

2 Brits, Dan Evans & Jack Draper are playing simultaneously at midnight UK time tonight at Acapulco, which is scheduled for the Tennis Channel 407 at this time. I guess the match shown will be Dan Evans on the main court  ( which we can record ) but too late in the day to use the red button to watch Jack Draper if we wish to see that match. 

Ideally, that match should be available to watch tomorrow, amongst the  full match replays. Alternatively they could use the non-live gap in the schedule early tomorrow morning  to show that match, rather than "Day 1 at Dubai', which is currently scheduled.  I will record that just a in case they do. 

BUT will they do either ?   It will be interesting to see.

Are you reading this Sky ?

This message was authored by PhilHampson-Sky This message was authored by: PhilHampson-Sky

Re. my last post above and Acapulco last night:

I didn't stay up to check so don't know if the Jack Draper match was available  on the red button  whilst the Dan Evans match was on the main channel. However that match is not on CatchUp this morning and following the end of live tennis at 6am, they have stuck with their schedule of showing yesterday's tennis in Dubai. So no Jack Draper match to watch.

I am afraid this is what we are in for next week at the Masters Indian Wells tournament.

Whilst Sky are covering ( IN PART ) more tournaments than Prime did, their depth of coverage for the same tournaments that Prime covered, is so much inferior and we shall miss a lot of matches, which we may like to watch, by not having Replays available for these matches.

In conclusion, for Sky compared to Prime, we have lost a lot more than we have gained.

This message was authored by Bubblesjs This message was authored by: Bubblesjs

@PhilHampson-Sky I agree. Amazon was brilliant. I rang up Sky and basically they want to charge £18 for the Tennis channel, and no concessions despite being a VIP member. So I have taken the plunge and signed up with Tennis TV on a monthly basis so I can at least watch Dubai, the US circuit and the clay season for ATP. Its not ideal because I love the Women's game too.  I can watch RG on Eurosport and/or Discovery and then the grass season is on BBC. 

@Bubblesjs  Yes. Looks like I will have to shell out £12 for a month with  Tennis TV to cover the Indian Wells & Miami tournament if I am to be able to watch the matches I wish to see - not great when I have just received notification from Sky of a £7.50/month increase in my 18 month contract package.

This message was authored by Oddie2004 This message was authored by: Oddie2004

Re: Streaming tennis…..red button not working

So how come I get the red button with football and cricket.Seems like Sky cannot be bothered to service HD+ customers anymore and just want them to swith to Q or Glass.

I spoke to Customer Service and they told me I needed to upgrade to Q which my TV is not compatible as it is an old model or change to Glass and pay a lot more money.

As a customer of over 21 years they could not really care less and I am seriously considering leaving when my current contracts expire in May.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion