Discussion topic: Sheer amount of rubbish channels on Sky

This message was authored by missmollie This message was authored by: missmollie

Re: Sheer amount of rubbish channels on Sky

I am elderly but I'm not pretty much dead !!

we can't get virgin here and we have Netflix and prime and all the other apps. 

we just feel that the choice is not of the quality or the extent that it was. 

This message was authored by ZyloKai This message was authored by: ZyloKai

@missmollie wrote:

I am elderly but I'm not pretty much dead !!

we can't get virgin here and we have Netflix and prime and all the other apps. 

we just feel that the choice is not of the quality or the extent that it was. 

I agree. Maybe I'm solely talking about my own experiences, and the elderly people in my life. I understand this doesn't represent all elderly people.

I actually think there's a reason for the lack of choice. Since the launch of streaming apps, Sky has lost a lost of rights to TV shows and movies, as the owners of the streaming apps want it on their platform. Sky is pretty much left with the "runt of the litter" and that's what we see on linear TV. 

This message was authored by missmollie This message was authored by: missmollie

No offence taken. 

I agree.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

As I've commented elsewhere, while we're all used to Sky being a longstanding and significant media player in the UK its combined six country* European user base is relatively small in global terms, and that has to be a factor when competing for content against much younger but globe-spanning streaming platforms.

*UK, Republic of Ireland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

@TimmyBGood wrote:

As I've commented elsewhere, while we're all used to Sky being a longstanding and significant media player in the UK its combined six country* European user base is relatively small in global terms, and that has to be a factor when competing for content against much younger but globe-spanning streaming platforms.

*UK, Republic of Ireland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy

Although another factor appears be Tax Credits

https://deadline.com/2024/04/fallout-renewal-tax-credits-ncis-origins-1235878231/

Interesting how Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation js still used , I thought Disney had phased that out by now 

This message was authored by Stniuk This message was authored by: Stniuk

Buy a freesat box and dump sky. You will make your money back in a few months depending on your contract cost at present. That's what I'm doing when mine runs out. 

I may just try that!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion