Discussion topic: Re: All episodes of Classic Doctor Who via Sky's own on-demand are the signed versions only - why?

This message was authored by TheVoices1 This message was authored by: TheVoices1

Re: All episodes of Classic Doctor Who via Sky's own on-demand are the signed versions only - why?

I am still using an 'old fashioned' SKY HD box rather than SKY Q and hve started to watch the Dr Who episodes from the very beginning.

I am partway through the William Hartnell episodes and experiencing similar issues, but possibly even more frustration !

When I download classic episode via the BBC section of 'catch up TV', there are usually three versions of each episode available to select:

1. HD with 'in vision' signing

2. SD with 'in vision' signing

3. SD with no subtitles and no signing.

So far, so good......................

Unfortunately a large number of the episodes downloaded using option '3' have the 'audio commentary' from the actors and crew, that was created when the episodes were released on DVD, playing over the top of the 'proper' dialogue !

So far, i have come across this problem with 'The Aztecs', 'The dalek invasion of earth' and 'The Rescue'

Very frustration, as it renders the episodes unwatchable.

On a DVD or Blu ray, you have the option to turn the additional 'embedded' audio commentary on or off, SKY doesn't have this feature (the 'audio description' in 'settings' isn't relevant in this case)

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: All episodes of Classic Doctor Who via Sky's own on-demand are the signed versions only - why?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TheVoices1 

It might be worth sending an email to the Viewer Relations team about this and letting them know what you have found -  viewerR@sky.uk

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
TheVoices1
Topic Author
This message was authored by TheVoices1 This message was authored by: TheVoices1

Thank you.

I have emailed the BBC on Christmas Eve and just emailed SKY as well.

Hopefully someone will actually be bothered to sort the issue, my suspicion is that no one will care, as my problem isn't with some 'reality TV' rubbish with a massive audience !

TheVoices1
Topic Author

here is what I sent to SKY yesterday:
Good morning,

Please can you provide assistance with the following issues ?

I am still using an 'old fashioned' SKY HD box rather than SKY Q, and have started to watch the 'classic' Dr Who episodes from the very beginning.

The Sky HD box does not have the facility to use the BBC I-Player App, episodes are accessed and downloaded using the 'BBC' section of 'Catch Up TV'

I am partway through the William Hartnell episodes and experiencing some issues.

When I download classic episode via the BBC section of 'catch up TV', there are usually three versions of each episode available to select:

1. HD with 'in vision' signing

2. SD with 'in vision' signing

3. SD with no subtitles and no signing.

So far, so good......................

Unfortunately a large number of the episodes downloaded using option '3' have the 'audio commentary' from the actors and crew, this 'additional' soundtrack was created when the episodes were released on DVD, playing over the top of the 'proper' dialogue !

When I use a different device and access BBC I-Player directly, the same episodes have the correct audio soundtrack (original dialogue only)

As an example, I have come across this problem with all of the individual episodes of  'The Aztecs', 'The dalek invasion of earth' and 'The Rescue', I am sure it will be the same on some other episodes but haven't had the time to check all of them.

Very frustrating, as it renders the episodes unwatchable.

On a DVD or Blu ray, you have the option to turn the additional 'embedded' audio commentary on or off, SKY doesn't have this feature (the 'audio description' in 'settings' isn't relevant in this case)

The BBC have responded to other viewers with the same or similar issues, and state that SKY have been provided with the correct versions to make available ?
TheVoices1
Topic Author

Here is what I got back from SKY:

Good afternoon, 

Thank you for your email to Sky regarding the classic episodes of Doctor Who,

When you are watching Doctor Who the next episode automatically downloads in BSL, viewers will have to go back and download the next episode in the correct format. 

This content is brought to viewers by the BBC, the synopsis is given to us by the BBC and we cannot edit it to which has BSL and which hasn't.

Once again thank you for your email, I wish you all the best in 2024, 

Kind regards, 

Mel 
Viewer Relations

TheVoices1
Topic Author

Completely missed the point of my email so sent this one back to them:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately you have not correctly understood the nature of my complaint, your response is not actually relevant to the issues that I am experiencing.

Please re-read my email, but to summarise:

I am manually downloading all of the episodes in question (I deliberately have 'auto download' disabled in the HD box settings).

I am trying all three of the manual download options available to me for each individual episode to try and overcome the problem.

As I have stated in my previous email, the first option is HD download with BSL, second option is standard definition download with BSL and the third download option is 'supposed' to be the standard definition episode, with the correct 'dialogue only' soundtrack (no BSL and no subtitles)

I am simply trying to download and then view and listen to the 'standard' version of the episode (option 3)

The issue is that the SKY download that does not have 'in vision' BSL (option 3), does have an additional audio commentary on top of the 'original' program soundtrack.

As I have also already stated, this additional commentary is by the original actors / producers (not an 'audio description'), the commentary was recorded at a later date, when the BBC chose to release these 'classic' episodes on DVD for the first time.

There is no option or setting on the SKY box that can get rid of this 'additional' audio, therefore, the episode is unwatchable (or rather. unlistenable)

When using another device to access the same episodes directly from BBC I-Player as a comparison, (obviously 'streaming' to a tablet or similar, rather than 'downloading' to the SKY hard drive), there is no issue, I am able to view the episode without in vision BSL, and with the correct soundtrack (without the additional commentary 'on top of' the dialogue)

It would appear that either the BBC are not providing you with the correct version of the 'non BSL' episodes, or there is an issue with the 'catch up TV' download service from SKY ?

This issue needs to be resolved between SKY and the BBC. to discover what is the cause of the problem.

I would be happy to discuss my concerns in more detail by telephone if this would be easier ?
This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

If the third one available is the one with audio commentary, then it would be the bbc providing it to sky.

Sky are not burning random episodes from the dvds, then uploading the copied files from dvds. The uploads are provided with bbc.

Also bear in mind, this is customer to customer forum.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer

TheVoices1
Topic Author

I know this is a customer forum, just adding the information for anyone else that is experiencing the same issues.

The BBC are claiming that it is a 'SKY' issue, but there doesn't seem to be a way to speak to an 'actual' person, to discuss things.

Seems fairly straightforward to me, my suspicion is that the BBC have supplied SKY with the 'wrong' material but it doesn't inspire me with confidence when the SKY customer service department cannot grasp the problem I am experiencing.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

hi @TheVoices1 

Unfortunately I have not had a SKY HD box for several years so can't remember what options there were,  & I am guessing you have double checked but just thought I would  ask if there any possibility that there is a method of selecting a different audio track  but which might not be labelled correctly  ?

I know it is not the same but on SKY Q to get the English commentary on S4C Rugby live broadcasts  we have to have the language set to Welsh  not English  -  yes set to Welsh to get the English commentary! 

TheVoices1
Topic Author

Thank you, I think the only audio options in the SKY settings are 'mono' or 'stereo' (this made no difference) 

There is also an option to change the audio output via HDMI or optical, think this is just Dolby Digital on / off.

Will take another look tomorrow but think I have already tried everything.

TheVoices1
Topic Author

Had a response today from SKY:

Hello Jon,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us again about the issues you've experienced with audio on Classic Doctor Who episodes.

I've raised this with our support teams who have been able to replicate the same issues. We will work with the BBC to resolve these audio problems as soon as possible.

Thank you very much for highlighting this to us and I'm sorry it took so long for this to be investigated correctly.

Many thanks,

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion