Discussion topic: Please try and get all episodes of sg1.

This message was authored by Xs85 This message was authored by: Xs85

Please try and get all episodes of sg1.

I recently introduced my daughter to Stargate. We watched the original film and then found there was only a handful of sg1 episodes. We instead have started on Atlantis but I keep having to stop and explain stuff that was explained in sg1. Thanks.

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Please try and get all episodes of sg1.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You might want to raise it with the Viewer Relations team. We're mainly customers here. You can email them at viewerr@sky.uk

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Xs85 

A quick search would suggest Prime Video currently has the UK rights.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Antokram This message was authored by: Antokram

Amazon prime have the rights you need the MGM Channel add on @ £4.49 a month

This message was authored by DF3828 This message was authored by: DF3828

All 10 seasons are available on sky go but only 8,9,10 on demand on glass.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@DF3828 wrote:

All 10 seasons are available on sky go but only 8,9,10 on demand on glass.

If thats the case then i'd suggest email the Viewer Relations Team at viewerR@sky.uk and they should be able to pass it over to the correct backend team and get it sorted.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by JonD1492 This message was authored by: JonD1492

To the OP, Sky Sci-Fi (formerly known as the SyFy Channel, in the UK) has started broadcasting STARGATE SG-1 from the beginning at 8-9pm each weekday.  They are currently in the middle of Season 1.

However, please be aware that the episodes are often heavily censored for violence, gore, and any brief scenes of sensuality (not a misspelling of sexuality), due to many of the episodes being BBFC 12 and 15 rated, and the Pilot Movie being rated at 18 for violence and sexual violence.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@JonD1492 wrote:

episodes are often heavily censored for violence, gore, and any brief scenes of sensuality (not a misspelling of sexuality), due to many of the episodes being BBFC 12 and 15 rated

Sci-Fi doesn't use Mandatory Daytime Protection (PIN control), so unfortunately edits have to be made for content rated as 12 and above when broadcast before the watershed.  Uncut episodes could only be carried on Sky Atlantic, and Stargate doesn't fit the profile of that channel.

This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

It's repeated on Sky Max at different times aswell which does have pin control, I wonder if that's cut

Although Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis , Stargate Universe and 3 Stargate movies are all set to leave On Demand on 30th September On Sky, since  Amazon acquired MGM so not really surprising.

@Timelord2018Sadly, all the Sky One/Max broadcasts are also the same censored edits, which is annoying.  I think Sky have now decided as it's an old show, no one cares if its cut or not anymore, and they now treat it solely as a daytime-filler show, that can be shown pre-watershed.

@TimmyBGoodI am very aware of the rules on PIN coding, thanks.  I only mentioned the censorship, for two specific reasons:

1 - that the show was being aired cut (and some of the cuts are really poorly done, and ruin the episodes), and

2 - because the OP was wanting to introduce his young daughter to the series, and thus, they may not be aware that A) the episodes are cut, and B) some of the show isn't thematically family-friendly, and so may not be suitable even with cuts for a younger child to be watching.

@JonD1492 

Can't say I've ever spotted anything objectionable in SG apart from the increasingly ludicrous plotlines, shonky acting and terrible direction ; )

Maybe I've been inadvertently watching the edited versions: I'd imagine it would be very different made by HBO...

@TimmyBGoodYou clearly don't know anything about the show then....

1 - The show was made by Showtime in the USA, and was a premium-cable US TV series, aimed at adult audiences (ala THE OUTER LIMITS remake in the 1990's, THE X-FILES, etc).  It was never intended to be family-friendly, but a more adult rebooting of the film, with more adult themes.

2 - The Pilot Movie in its uncut, 18 rated edit, contains a serious (and notorious) scene of **bleep**/sexual assault, and extensive sexualised full-frontal female nudity, as well as extended and more detailed violence too.  It's also the only episode to exist in 4 x versions:

- A "PG" rated TV cut, released on UK VHS tapes and shown by Channel 4 when it first got hold of the show

- A 12 rated TV edit, that Sky routinely uses

- A 15-rated edit, that contains the stronger violence, but tones-down the sexual assault completely, and removes all of the nudity, except for one very, very brief side shot of toplessness

- An uncut 18 version, that I've already mentioned.

The 4 x different edits range from 85 minutes in the PG version, to 97 minutes in the 18-rated uncut version.  That's a substantial difference!

3 - The show ran on Showtime for its first five years.  At the end of Season 5, they decided they didn't want to fund it anymore, and SyFy in the USA, got the rights, but wanted to tweak it to remove the adult content and make it more of a PG-13-style action adventure series, with only occasional elements that were more "mature".  They cut the budget, some of the original crew left, and the show was overhauled, but whilst it was still succesful for SyFy, it still lost viewers quite dramatically, and also lost its edge, and became much more of a STAR TREK style clone, with adventurers landing on strange worlds, each week, and meeting aliens.  With each successive Season, the show's budget got smaller, and then was finally cancelled.

It still remains a solid show, but the first 5 years were definitely the best, and the edgier content was what made it more interesting than the mainstream, network sci-fi shows of the late 90's and early 2000's.  In fact some of the best sci-fi TV of that era, were shows most people have long-forgotten:

- THE OUTER LIMITS remake (which contained a lot of gore, violence, and nudity in the original uncut versions shown in the USA/Canada on Showtime, and in the BBC2 transmissions)

- JEREMIAH

- FIRST WAVE (which was another series that Cable TV made and was far more graphic and adult than the censored versions shown on Channel 5, when it first started)

- ODYSSEY 5

- TEK-WAR (with William Shatner both writing and directing)

- CODENAME: ETERNITY (shown on late-night Channel 4, and starring Cameron Bancroft)

- LEXX (which was famously shown on late-night Channel 5 on Friday nights, and was seriously messed-up in terms of the adult content that one featured - and if you know, you know!)

- FARSCAPE (which was heavily cut for UK audiences, but uncut on UK DVD/Blu-Ray, with one episode from Season 2, carrying an 18 rating for graphic violence!)

So many great, original, adult-oriented sci-fi shows that people just don't remember or didn't give a chance to...  Go look some of these up, because in their uncut version, they're great.  But in the UK, where sci-fi and fantasy shows were treated as kids fodder, for teatime audiences on BBC2 and Channel 4, and Sky 1, they were often mutilated, or if broadcast uncut, were dumped into a graveyard slot.

@JonD1492 

I'm old enough to have watched Lexx on broadcast Channel 4 and recorded it to VHS ; )

And yes, that was certainly interesting...

For shock value to an unsuspecting audience I'm not sure anyone beat the rodent consuming scene in 'V' though.

@JonD1492 

I think the automated content filter probably ate your last post: it should appear again at some point tomorrow after manual review.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion