Discussion topic: House Of The Dragons UHD

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia

Re: House Of The Dragons UHD

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi All

Thank you for highlighting this issue with House of the Dragon.

This problem is still under investigation and doesn't appear to impact all HBO content.

In the meantime, can we ensure this thread remains on topic and that we all pay particular attention to the community guidelines. In particular, posting to help and not argue, disrespect or harass.

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager
This message was authored by FJRBL This message was authored by: FJRBL

@KevNewMedia thats great to hear. 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I have a Panasonic OLED & not a Samsung so don't have the blue tinge reported here.

This week's HDR episode  in particular, however, to me,  seemed somwehat muted & the blacks  not particularly black but more dark grey and made me double check that I had downloaded the HDR version as it didn't give me the impression for being High Dynamic range at all

I thus have to say this was not best & I think SKY /HBO should  double check the rendering 

This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi folks

For those people who have Samsung TV's, can I ask if you have seen the issue on any other HDR content?  If so, what is that content?

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager
This message was authored by FJRBL This message was authored by: FJRBL

As aforesaid, I have not encountered it on any other HDR/HLG source. 

This message was authored by VenatorMeam This message was authored by: VenatorMeam

Hi, I have personally seen the issue very noticible on house of the dragons.

On the sky cinema hdr version of mad max fury Road. (easily seen during the openings scenes where it even effects the movies black bars)

And sky cinema hdr version of Hulk (2003) where its a persistent problem throughout.

It seems to happen on any show/movie utilising hlg. I can also confirm that I have tested multiple programmes on BBC I player using hlg and they all look perfect. 

It appears to be solely a sky problem. 

This message was authored by andrew1990-1990 This message was authored by: andrew1990-1990

Hi,

I have noticed this on the opening scenes of Uncharted using my puck on samsung tv .. So switched to normal UHD and it looks great, some content using HDR seems to be fine but watching House Of The Dragon was just unwatchable .. The on UHD seemed much brighter too ..

All apps on HDR seem fine 

This message was authored by davejmartin This message was authored by: davejmartin

It is mostly with house of dragons. Looks terrible with the purple blacks in HDR.

This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

Shame that the HDR issues are happening with this I have been holding off on watching House of Dragon till either HBO release it on UHD Blu-ray or Sky Glass launches without the TV included. Now the later has been confirmed for the 18th of next month I see it's not a good presentation. 

This message was authored by VenatorMeam This message was authored by: VenatorMeam

Sky's compression gives a bad enough picture looks like there's ants crawling over the screen it's so compressed! to start with but with the issues caused by HLG it makes HDR completely unusable.

The pucks come with their own laundry list of issues as well. Completely unsatisfied by sky's tech support line too. All they do is try to shift the blame. 

This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

@nkelly0 

Sorry for being stupid but what makes HLG so bad? Don't BBC use that and there UHD stuff looks good

This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

@CardiffMan1992 wrote:

@nkelly0 

Sorry for being stupid but what makes HLG so bad? Don't BBC use that and there UHD stuff looks good

The BBC have much better tech QC than Sky. 

@fizzdisco 

Oh okay 

This message was authored by LukeO This message was authored by: LukeO

My wife, who doesn't care about colour accuracy at all, commented on how dark HoD is and on the blue blotches. They really are super bad. E6 is especially bad for blue blotches, I have to say. I don't think I've ever noticed anything this bad before. And yes, it's a Samsung Q90 TV.

This message was authored by LukeO This message was authored by: LukeO

I was able to fix the problem based on the link posted above. The main thing I did was lower the HLG setting to -3 (while showing an episode in UHD/HDR). This got rid of the blue blotches. I also increased brightness and Contrast Enhancer to High, since the whole thing is quite dark, but that was additional and not so important.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion