Discussion topic: Game of Thrones in UHD HDR

This message was authored by hellzking This message was authored by: hellzking

Game of Thrones in UHD HDR

I've noticed that all of season 1 of Game of Thrones is now available in UHD HDR on Sky Q. This is great news even if it is happening a few years too late. 

However, while most episodes of season 2 and 3 are also available in UHD, there are some that aren't. Why are some in UHD and others aren't??

None of the seasons after 3 are available in UHD either. 

Does anyone know if that is going to change or what exactly is happening with UHD availability of all seasons?

This random availability of some episodes only doesn't seem to make sense

Best Answers
This message was authored by Superdog1984 This message was authored by: Superdog1984 Answer

Re: Game of Thrones in UHD HDR

All available to download this morning.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TM2009 This message was authored by: TM2009

Well spotted!  Sky are still making quite a meal of HLG conversions so it may be a while before they work their way tjhrough all the episodes.

As far as I can see it is only accessible from "Return to Westeros" below the House of the Dragon stuff and there is no UHD-only option  yet. So still a WIP,

----------------------------------------------
Sky Q 2TB Box + 1 Sky Q Mini Box; LG OLED55B8PLA; Amp: Sony STR-DN1080
This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@hellzking 

Good shout out I hadn't realised they had started adding in 4K HDR like you said late but I guess better late then never.

I would send them a email at viewerr@sky.uk to see if they have a timetable on when the rest of the episodes will be up.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@hellzking 

Great spot - we also get Atmos sound 🙂

This message was authored by trevforum This message was authored by: trevforum

@nigea99 wrote:

@hellzking 

It's like watching it for the first time.  Although the 5.1 mix wasn't bad,  Atmos takes it to the next level.  I'm watching the 1st episode, when does the self indulgent "creative intent" kick in where the directors forget they are producing content for TV!

——————————————————-
Sky Stream, Sky Glass, Panasonic DX902, Pioneer LX-901 7.1.4
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@trevforum wrote:

It's like watching it for the first time.  Although the 5.1 mix wasn't bad,  Atmos takes it to the next level.  I'm watching the 1st episode, when does the self indulgent "creative intent" kick in where the directors forget they are producing content for TV!

Yes I always thought GoT has had great sound & as you say the 5.1 mixes are very good but their Atmos ones really do elevate it - it does seem to really expand the sound stage.

I have all the series on  blu-ray and they included Atmos from Series 5 on, even on the standard blu-ray

I can't remember which series was the first to get the major  critiscm for the image - I think possibly S6 (although always been watchable on my Panasonic TVs - but i did get S8 on UHD which is far superior in DV) 

This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

@nigea99 

I brought the series on 4K Blu-ray few months back when I got my Lg OLED and was surprised how much better it looked 

This message was authored by Bgizz88 This message was authored by: Bgizz88

Is it just me or has this disappeared again - got halfway through the series and suddenly no 4K HDR anymore 😞

hellzking
Topic Author

**bleep**! Instead of adding more episodes in 4k they've actually removed all of them!

This message was authored by Jamest133 This message was authored by: Jamest133

I managed to download 4 episodes of season 1 in 4k. 

It was available up to season 3 and now it's totally gone!

What's happened?

This message was authored by Sarge06 This message was authored by: Sarge06

Quite annoying that Sky has failed to provide their customers with a decent service. What's the point of only streaming a few episodes in UHD, defeats the object really!?

Maybe they weren't made to put them up in UHD quite yet

This message was authored by trevforum This message was authored by: trevforum

@CardiffMan1992 wrote:

Maybe they weren't made to put them up in UHD quite yet

Since the episodes have been transcoded to UHD/HLG 50Hz I would assume that they will appear again, unless some contractual issue arose.

——————————————————-
Sky Stream, Sky Glass, Panasonic DX902, Pioneer LX-901 7.1.4

@trevforum 

Yeah this is precisely what I was thinking that it might be down to a contractual issue maybe they weren't meant be put up to a certain date.

hellzking
Topic Author

Got response from viewer relations who've said that the UHD episodes were made available by mistake. That's why only a few were available and not all of them. 

So they've removed them for now and they'll be readded once all are available in that format. Though they didn't specify when that would be

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion