Discussion topic: Do Sky still spy on you and sell viewing habit data to advertisers?

HopeItsChips
Topic Author
This message was authored by HopeItsChips This message was authored by: HopeItsChips

Re: Do Sky still spy on you and sell viewing habit data to advertisers?

It's a great shame that we can't have a proper discussion about this. 

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Sky deal with with ad placement for various stations to advertisers through SkyMedia

It's not profitable for Sky to just get raw data and sell it to facebook because facebook, sky, Google etc etc are all competitors for advertisers marketing spend.

They use any data they collect to sell their own ads, not to help facebook sell ads.

If sky were giving raw specificc customer data to facebook:

1. I wouldn't be getting facebook ads telling me I should join facebook. Sky would already have told facebook, 

2. I watch quite a few comedian panel and other comedian led programming shows on TV. I don't get this comedy gig ads (music gig ads on the other hand is another question)

The algorithms are very strong that advertisers like sky, amazon, facebook use. Anytime I browse through amazon emails reccomending me suff, a lot of the time the books amazon is suggesting I already bought elsewhere. (Tough, amazon)

Honestly some facebook ads are just funny.

I think Sky Media might explain things better

https://www.skymedia.co.uk/

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
HopeItsChips
Topic Author
This message was authored by HopeItsChips This message was authored by: HopeItsChips

It's not profitable for Sky to just get raw data and sell it to facebook because facebook, sky, Google etc etc are all competitors for advertisers marketing spend.

They use any data they collect to sell their own ads, not to help facebook sell ads.

Can you give me link to your source for this, or did you just make it up? 

It seems to me that selling information to a data broker (which it clearly says it does in the privacy page) maximises potential income. 

This message was authored by 12rounds This message was authored by: 12rounds

Could be a result of cross-app tracking between Facebook and Sky Go. 

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@12rounds wrote:

That's more likely, Facebooks use of off app activity is ridiculous, if you don't manage what they can use they use Information from every app on your device for marketing and advertising. 

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------

It's from an understanding of business, marketing and an understanding of data protection laws. 

Sky and Facebook are competitors. Why would sky sell data for marketing to facebook so Facebook could undercut Sky and offer a better service to potential advertisers than sky?

Yes or no answer suffice to this question, Do you believe Sky told facebook specifically that you and your wife watched Lucy Beaumont show on Channel 4?

Anyway to understand facebook data collection, see here

https://news.sky.com/story/what-does-facebook-do-with-my-data-and-how-do-i-stop-it-11299792

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
HopeItsChips
Topic Author

@12rounds wrote:

I don't have Sky Go installed on any of my devices. 

HopeItsChips
Topic Author

@nolte wrote:

Sky and Facebook are competitors. Why would sky sell data for marketing to facebook so Facebook could undercut Sky and offer a better service to potential advertisers than sky?

Sky TV and Facebook are two entirely different advertising spaces, television and social media - they are not even slightly in competition.

Also: once Sky has sold information to a data broker, they've made their money - and any advertiser could just as easily come to the broker for access to targeted television eyeballs as it could for social media. This gives the potential for two bites at the cherry. 

HopeItsChips
Topic Author

@nolte wrote:

It's from an understanding of business, marketing and an understanding of data protection laws. 

Yes or no answer suffice to this question, Do you believe Sky told facebook specifically that you and your wife watched Lucy Beaumont show on Channel 4?

Anyway to understand facebook data collection, see here

https://news.sky.com/story/what-does-facebook-do-with-my-data-and-how-do-i-stop-it-11299792

I believe data was collected about my viewing habits (as confirmed by the privacy policy pages). 
I believe my data was sold to data brokers (as confirmed by the privacy policy pages). 
I believe the data sold to the data brokers included IP address information which allows triangulation of my social media accounts and email login pages. (as is common practise for these organisations). 
I believe ads were targeted to Facebook through the data broker using all of the above information. 

And for the record: I could not give a flying one about the Lucy Beaumount ad - it was simply this that alerted me to what was going on. What has led me to being so upset is that I set a series link for a documentary series about a very painful and private part of my life (I didn't even watch a single episode yet!) and I immediately began receiving ads (for the first time) about the topic in question. 

*This* is where I feel violated and as though my privacy has been invaded. 

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Nice attitude 😞 and no I have not read the enitre rant!

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@HopeItsChips  The forum has provided you the link to complain, there isn't anything the forum can do about this as we are simply fellow customers like you.   If you feel it's not being addressed, re-raise the complaint.

What is it you want the forum to do here?

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

HopeItsChips
Topic Author

What is it you want the forum to do here?

Allow and encourage a full discussion of this, so that other users can consider whether they feel they have experienced the same. 

But hey - shifting the post to a backwater forum that gets 90% less traffic and then having moderators arrive en masse to oppose the post also works. 

Thanks folks - massively useful resource. 

As you already complained to sky, you should now complain to ico 

If you looked at nhs or hse website or anything medical pages about an illness, facebook knows and will base ads on this.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
HopeItsChips
Topic Author

@nolte wrote:

If you looked at nhs or hse or anything medical pages about an illness, facebook knows and will base ads on this.

Why do you assume this is a medical condition? 

I have also not once searched for information on the topic in question without using a secure browser that does not support tracking or cookies, through a VPN and with no google account logged in anywhere on my machine. 

I work in the online world and have an understanding of how to browse anonymously. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion