Discussion topic: Do Sky still spy on you and sell viewing habit data to advertisers?

This message was authored by HopeItsChips This message was authored by: HopeItsChips

Do Sky still spy on you and sell viewing habit data to advertisers?

Before I begin, a few points: 
- I'm not a paranoid conspiracy theorist. 

- I'm not talking about selling my email address or street address or personal information such as D.O.B. 

- I've gone into settings and switched to 'off' the items for:

- "Tailor my Sky iD advertising and services"

- "Tailor my TV advertising".
   - Everything in the Household section of Communication Preferences. (Email, Telephone, Post, Text)
   - Send communications to my Sky iD email

I've been receiving ads in my Facebook feed and on my email webpage that seem to be based on my viewing habits. First case in point: My wife and I recorded and watched the series "Odd Couples" with Jon Richardson and Lucy Beaumont. We found it reasonably entertaining, but found Lucy Beaumont quite annoying. Days after we'd watched multiple episodes in a night, I began getting ads on my Facebook feed for Lucy's stand-up tour, which were large images of her on the set of the TV show. I know that neither of us have googled her, discussed her in gmail messages or any of the other things that usually trigger targetted ads. 

I genuinely felt as though some creepy Facebook peeping-tom had been sat at our window each night taking notes. I did a little research online and found an article that revealed that Sky sell information about your viewing habits to advertisers - and they do it without asking. It's defaulted to 'opt out' meaning you have to tell them you don't want them to do it.

Article is here: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2007/dec/08/personaldetails

Quite predictably, not only do they not make it very clear that they're doing it, but they make opting out as difficult as possible (in the article, you had to ring a premium rate number - this has now closed and I got no joy when I spoke to customer services on the phone last night (which involved an hour or so on hold and around 2 minutes of talking to someone who said they didn't know anything about that and they couldn't help).

Recently, I have been watching documentaries about a deeply personal and private matter that has affected my daily life since I was a child. a few days later, I received ads around my email login in the browser from charities dealiing with this issue. I could easily have been logging in at work, where colleagues would have read over my shoulder and asked why I get ads about this issue. 
(Thankfully I was not - but that's just luck - and I don't know what ads are coming next). 

I feel as though there has been a deep violation of my privacy and I'm very unhappy. 

Generally, I couldn't care less about targeted ads. I'm not a privacy nut - I usually just do not care. 
In this case though, it does feel like a step too far. Particularly if it's being done without my expressed permission and knowledge. 

Now - the Guardian article is from 2007, so things may be very different now. Maybe Sky stopped doing it after the newspaper piece. 
I'm also open to the idea that the ad-targeting has come via another source. I appreciate we live in an age where it is almost completely unavoidable now. 

The ads I've received seem *so* totally linked to television I've watched though, that it does feel as though data about my viewing habits is being sold. 

So the point of this post is: 
- can anyone definitively confirm one way or another whether Sky sell data on viewing habits to advertisers? 
- if this *is* going on, how do I opt out? 

Thanks for reading. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Quoman7 This message was authored by: Quoman7

Re: Do Sky still spy on you and sell viewing habit data to advertisers?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @HopeItsChips  If you log into your SKY.com account, from your account tab select account details, and from there you can turn off Tailor my Sky iD advertising and services. ehich would then stop your unwanted emails?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to have superpowers… But a therapist took them away.
HopeItsChips
Topic Author
This message was authored by HopeItsChips This message was authored by: HopeItsChips

Spoiler

Hmmmmn - a little more reading seems to suggest that smart TVs also harvest data - and you don't even need to be watching via an app on your TV. Apparently they can identify content by digital fingerprints. 

My Samsung Q90 is not cutting edge state-of-the-art, but it is fairly recent.

I'm now wondering whether I need to look into this as a possibility too. 

I'd still be interested to get a definitive answer on whether Sky is doing this. 

HopeItsChips
Topic Author

I have set all these to off in my account settings on the webpage. 
I did mention this in the very first paragraph of my post. 

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@HopeItsChips wrote:

I'd still be interested to get a definitive answer on whether Sky is doing this. 

No one from Sky is going to answer here.

In terms of how they process personal data it's all documented here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-privacy-and-cookies-notice

(as required under DPA2018/'GDPR')

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
HopeItsChips
Topic Author

Also, I'm not getting emails.
I'm getting browser ads and sponsored posts in my Facebook feed.

HopeItsChips
Topic Author

Yes, I have read the privacy policy and it does state that viewing habit data is collected and it does state that it sells your information to data brokers. 

It is *very* vague and opaque about exactly what data is sold to data brokers and for what purpose. 
(There is one very benign "for example" about targeted tv ads - but it does not say that this is the only thing they sell data for. It is hardly a full and transparent explanation)

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

I don't think you'll get full answer here as it is not how the forum works it is mostly customer to customer. You could look to raise official complaint, then refer it to ICO in uk to

It would seem very hard for sky to sell specific information to facebook. Sky aren't telling facebook "this guy likes Lucy Beaumont, tell him about Lucy Beaumont comedy shows"

If data is sold, it should be in anonymity form.

It could be connected due to browsing history, not just related to her but do you look up comedians in general or like facebook posts about them. Even just lingering on a post for a little bit, even if you go to the toilet and come back, facebook gets the data and think you are more interested in a subject 

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
HopeItsChips
Topic Author

Wow - this post has been shifted from Sky Q forum to the much less viewed What's On sub-forum. 
Who's done that - and why??

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Your thread is primarily about Sky's privacy policy, rather than Sky Q. It has nothing to do with the number of views.

HopeItsChips
Topic Author

So you're saying that the privacy policy of Sky Q is more relevant to the "What's on" forum than say.... the Sky Q forum where I originally posted????

Wow. 

Just.... wow

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@HopeItsChips wrote:

(There is one very benign "for example" about targeted tv ads - but it does not say that this is the only thing they sell data for. It is hardly a full and transparent explanation)

Contact their DPO if you have questions.  No one is going to know or answer on here (regardless of which sub forum)

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
HopeItsChips
Topic Author

I have of course contacted Sky directly to make a complaint. 
I received a two line copy/paste email about how to opt out of Sky marketing emails - which is not even close to the issue I clearly explained to them. 

My question stands - who moved this post? 

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@HopeItsChips wrote:

So you're saying that the privacy policy of Sky Q is more relevant to the "What's on" forum

Correct as this isn't just anything to do with the Sky Q box or the working of it but is more a general point as this could apply to Sky+, Sky Glass or Sky Stream or any of Sky other services.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@HopeItsChips exactly as @caesarome posted. Feel free to send a private message one of the Community Managers, if you wish.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion