Discussion topic: Could my SKY+HD Box reboot my LGTV?

This message was authored by realtime99 This message was authored by: realtime99

Could my SKY+HD Box reboot my LGTV?

For the last four weeks or so I have been having an issue with my LG TV rebooting itself. It only happens when using my Sky box and when I am 'doing something' e.g. fast forwarding/reversing, changing to the Sky guide and back to live TV on Sky. First the sound will disappear and then about 10 seconds later the TV will reboot (screen goes black, then TV standby light comes on, then the screen will come back to what you were watching). I have turned off HDMI control on the Sky box (and tuned off simple link and quick start on the TV) to try and resolve it without success. I have contacted LG, but is not a known fault. They did not deny it could be the TV but suggested I also run it past Sky. So here I am 🙂 Could this be a problem with the Sky box?

Moderator note: Amended title to better reflect query

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: SKY+HD Box reboots TV?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I haven't seen any reports of it happening before, and I can't think of any way your Sky box could cause it. Rather like LG, I wouldn't say it's impossible, but with no reports of it happening before that I' m aware of, I'd say it was unlikely.

But we're only customers here - you could give Sky a call to see if they have any record of it happening. 

You've done what I would have done, by turning off HDMI Control

realtime99
Topic Author
This message was authored by realtime99 This message was authored by: realtime99

Thanks Mark. Any idea how I can speak with Sky technical support now? It seems impossible to get through the barrier of web pages and virtual assistants they have created.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

If you use a power extension for your TV and Sky box try the TV directly in its own wall socket

Try updating the TVs firmware

You can contact Sky using the number here (See the "Need more help?" dropdown near the bottom of the page)

Note: Make sure you have the correct country flag selected in the bottom-right of the page
realtime99
Topic Author

Thanks for the contact info, much appreciated. Nicely hidden away there 🙂

This message was authored by Stephen+Tucknott This message was authored by: Stephen+Tucknott

We have been having exactly the same problem. The TV is an LG as well. Our problem started nearly 2 months ago. Even that seems the same time as you.  Our TV went back to LG two weeks ago and it was returned today. No info notes in the box to say what if any repair was done, or if a fault was detected.  TV reconnected and we have exactly the same problem continuing again.  It appears that our Sky HD box, the TV and the timing are exactly the same as the previous post.

realtime99
Topic Author

Hi Stephen+Tucknott. Thanks for that info,. It's somehow reassuring that someone else is having the same problem as me. Hopefully when there are enough of the same fault someone will provide a fix! FYI. the LG TV I have that is having the problem is a LG 43UP81006LR (2021). I have now plugged my Sky HD box into an older LG TV I had access to, a 2019 LG 43UM7400PLB. I have made sure that the OS on the older TV is also fully updated and the same apps I use are also installed, plus I have made sure that HDMI control / Simple link are enabled along with Quick Start, so making it like for like. And its fine! I have had them side by side and changed back to the newer LG and the newer LG continues to have the same fault. So it would appear to be the new LG TV rather than the Sky box if that helps. I guess there is a remote chance it could be the Sky box if there was some odd incompatibility between those particular devices but it seems far less likely.

realtime99
Topic Author

Hi Stephen+Tucknott. Also...  As both our TVs seemed to have had the same problem at the same time that would make me think (as I imagine you do) that an OS update created the fault, and subsequent OS updates have not been modified to fix it. The latest OS versions are numbered quite differently for the two LG TVs I have so them running the latest OS versions would not seem to be a good comparison, as well as software running on different hardware. So dodgy OS update is my current thought. Getting someone to modify the OS on a later update is the next challenge!!

This message was authored by Dereknf This message was authored by: Dereknf

We have exactly the same problem. The TV, an LG 43UP81006LR (2021) goes into standby for a few seconds then restarts, usually after winding through the adverts on the Sky Q box. It's done it for a  few weeks but it seems more frequent now. It's almost like the TV is receiving some sort of signal from the Sky remote maybe?

This message was authored by Stephen+Tucknott This message was authored by: Stephen+Tucknott

Suprise, suprise. We have the same model TV aswell.

I was speaking to 2 SKY engineers today. They don't make the HD box anymore. They just replace ours with refurbished ones. They said the answer would be to change to Q. With your reply that would not be the answer either.

It must be that model of LG TV and or a certain update Septemberish.

I am getting back to LG and pointing them to this forum. Perhaps you 2 could do the same.

I will try and get the man on the phone to bump it up to the boffins. Here's hoping.

realtime99
Topic Author

Hi @Dereknf. That's interesting what you say about the remote controller. It had not occurred to me. As it only happens to me when I am 'doing something', that doing something is pausing, fast forwarding etc. i.e. pressing buttons on the remote. I don't know how replicatable the fault is for you, but if it is it would be interesting if you could shield the TVs remote control sensor and see if the problem persists. Obviously you can check it is shielded by using the volume and mute which then should not work. I have currently done a swap with a relative so my TV is round theirs at the moment so I can't try this myself, but perhaps you or @Stephen+Tucknott  could test this and report back. It does not solve the problem of course but it might give the LG boffins something to go on.

This message was authored by Dereknf This message was authored by: Dereknf

According to the LG website there was a software/firmware update dated 25/10/22. That conicides roughly when the TV started resetting itself.  Last night it was doing it a few seconds after we wound through the adverts during Resident Alien. Pretty much every time. I'll put in a query to LG as it doesn't seem like a Sky issue.

This message was authored by Reticent+Squirrel This message was authored by: Reticent+Squirrel

Just found this thread as I also have the same issue. And I also have the 

LG 43UP80006LR. Will also request help on LG site. 

I have got a result. Before Christmas LG had it in for repair. It was no different. Got inconstant  again, they had change the main circuit. After ringing a 3rd time they agreed that the incompatibility happened after we had it for 6 months. It was in warranty. We got an email to give to the original supplier  (it was non commital )to get full refund. The Samsung arrives tomorrow.

This message was authored by Goise This message was authored by: Goise

Yep we've got the same issue Fast forwarding for any length of time stop and play no sound tv then goes into standby then restarts in the same position it stopped....frustrating!!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion